Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745395 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #792 on: February 11, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
Hi Geoff

I only worked in Cato St for a short time when I was 16. I never worked anywhere for very long just time to amass a little money so I could go off on my wanders.

Consequently I don't remember any names, but I used to work in the tube bending department and it would have been 1963. The only chap I remember was a little grey headed old man who must have been in his 60's. The only reason I remember him was he was much smaller than me. I'm 5'.4" So he must have been smaller than that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

geoff.44

« Reply #793 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
hi Phill, granddad was well before that but if I remeber the factroy was called Renaulds tubes and it was as black as  bag inside we nickednamed It the black hole of callcuta.Geoff

jaykay

« Reply #794 on: February 11, 2010, 11:31:15 AM »
Hi Geoff,
When I was about 7 or 8, and my younger brother about 6 or 7 we had been somewhere ,maybe Ward End park or Adderley park,we were walking home and the heavens opened, by the time we got to the top of Nechells Place we were like two drowned rats.
As we were walking past the Albion a lady came out took one look at us and said something to the effect  "you poor little [censored], come in and dry off" she took us into the pub stuck us in front of the fire and gave us a glass of pop and a bag of crisps each,about an hour later we were ready for the off, and she gave us 6d for bus fare, even though it was only 3 stops to Cromwell Street.
That was in 1947-8, so it could have been your Aunty  who was the good samaritan that day, bless her.
Here's a couple of pics to remind you of the old end.
Jean Chatin was a tiny wisp of a girl if I remember right.

jaykay

« Reply #795 on: February 11, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
Here's the photos, all taken from the book-THE INNER CIRCLE by David Harvey.

geoff.44

« Reply #796 on: February 11, 2010, 01:02:48 PM »
jaykay Hi John that would be 1948, uncle bill  moved out because of a growing family the albion vaults was a small pub tiny accommodation, sold it to a lovely lady named stella she was a real character. a friend of one of my aunts she played the piano so Saturday night sing longs were famous, she also drove an ambulance through the blitz but ran a really good pub , Geoff

blane

« Reply #797 on: February 11, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »
Hi Geoff - I worked in Cato St. North for 5 years at E.N. Williams,Engineers,sited opposite the Albion Vaults.Most of my friends lived in that street,[censored],Harrisons,Hammonds,Hinsons,Kerrs.Atkinsons et al.The albion and George were our Friday night locals.Do you remember any of them ?,this would be circa 1960.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #798 on: February 11, 2010, 05:52:39 PM »
i had a mate from that part of brum Cato and dudistonemill road  the family name was langfords billy was my mate iv not seen him for all most 60 years
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

geoff.44

« Reply #799 on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »
HI BLANE, Yes I know all the names of the families you mentioned.    Ronny Hinson, was a mate of mine.  We were the same age.   Also Clive Kerr, Dave Atkinson, Dennis Hammond.  We all played together on the "bomb site" as kids.   Dave Atkinson's brothers were older.   Robert Harrison was my brother's age, round about four years younger.   The [censored] were a bit older than the "gang" that I knocked about with.   I remember Williams well because they held a kids party for the Queen's Coronation 1953, in their works yard.  My uncle who ran the Albion Vaults up until 1948 knew all the older guys at Williams.  I worked at the Met, Common Lane for 27 years but left Cato Street North around 1962/3.   The family moved to Shard End.
Met Ronny Hinson a few times as he worked at the Met for a short time and the family moved to Lee Hall not far from my Aunts.

Speak soon.   Geoff.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #800 on: February 11, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »
Hi Blane

I suppose you have seen this photo of E.N.Engineering before, but there might be others who haven't

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #801 on: February 12, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
Hi Geoff  - We must be old mates as those were my friends as well,we all went to Loxton St. School 1955 - 1959,I'm Brian Smith.I have just made contact with Tom Aspey after nearly fifty years,and enjoying trying to out bull each other over our achievements - all the best.     

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #802 on: February 12, 2010, 06:36:32 PM »
hi Blane
           that's sounds good did you meet up via the forum  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy