Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1748899 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1386 on: January 17, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
Hi all

as we are discussing cuckoo road I thought you would like to see a photo from the spion kop park in mount street as this is one of my favourite photo of nechells you can make out the nechells park hotel pub on the left side of the pic and the old mills on the right side with grinding wheels outside

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1387 on: January 17, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
Great photo Pudding, I can remember when wherever you looked in Brum all you could see was smoking chimney stacks from industry and housing. The smokeless zone act were a good thing though we all complained about them at the time.

Steve,

I thought it was that side of the road, but do you think it was possible that there was another one on the other side of the road by the shops, if in fact there were two different services that used Cuckoo Rd. Though it might have been at a later time as we have one or two members who seem to remember it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1388 on: January 17, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
Phil, I don't recall a clock on the other side. Would they have needed one? I can only recall one clock being at Saltley Gate? When I did Fire and Security at Austin Morris, on night shift patrols I carried a clock which had a paper tape inside. There were keys hanging at strategic points around the factories which I had to insert and turn in my clock. each key had an embossed number which typed onto the tape . It could then be established where and when you were.
 I assume the bus clocks may have been a similar arrangement, each driver having a key number assigned to him. In that case you'd only need one clock for multiple services. No doubt someone will put us right before long.
 Remember sitting waiting for the bus to move while the Driver & Conductor had a cuppa? The Driver would turn the key in the clock just as he was due to leave the Terminus.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1389 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
Hi all,

I have asked my mom who was a conductress at Washwood Heath garage in the fifties. The Bundy clocks were always at the terminus or where the bus turned round. The 56 route could turn at the old island at the Fox and Goose, and there was a clock there, or went on to the Clock garage and again a clock oposite the Clock garage in a lay-by.

The 14 route(up the Rock) had one by the Pelham(The old tram, No 8, terminus) and one at Lea Village, the old terminus, before being extended down Mackadown Lane and there was another one.

The No 8 route had several. Steve is correct in that there was one in Adderley Rd, Saltley Gate.

The Drivers would be given a key at the start of their shift along with the bus keys and would hand them in after. Mom thinks they were universal keys that logged what time you left the terminus.

Pudding, you are correct it was the Nechells Park Hotel and not Tavern as I suggested.....Still "The Newfound" to me! Great photo, thanks.

Steve

« Reply #1390 on: January 18, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
I did a bit of a search on the web re Bundy Clocks. They did work as I assumed, the drivers key number and the time being stamped on a paper tape.
 There is one that's been restored in Walsall Arboretum, and on the Friends of Kidderminster Town Station website there are some photo's of the insides of one, and some of the keys.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1391 on: January 19, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
The changing face of Brum......so many pubs have gone and more on the way! The sadness of it all!

The Midland Tavern, Erskine St......almost down and done with....photo taken last Sunday.

The Ward End now a curry house!!!

Tony

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1392 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
Tony

I hope you don't mind but I have brightened your photos a little, so that we can see them better. If we loose as many pubs in the next five years as we did in the last, I don't think we will have ant left.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1393 on: January 19, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
Phil,whittington

Birmingham was known as the city of a thousand trades, now it's the city of a thousand curry house's ;D fancy coming for a couple of pints but where!! no trouble for a curry then

pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1394 on: January 19, 2011, 09:23:15 PM »
Pudding

I would much rather see old pubs ending up like the Ward End than the Midland Tavern. At least we keep the buildings. Quite a few old pubs down Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath are now curry houses. I have no complaints about that, other than I wish they wouldn't paint them so brightly.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1395 on: January 20, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Pudding, Thanks for brightening the photos. Very true, too.

Phil, I don't have a problem as such in that it reflects the changing ethnic background of those living in the areas. However, it is still such a shame that all of our traditions and heritage is fast disappearing!

For instance; only two pubs left in Vauxhall......White Towers and the Dog & Partridge! Just look back at all the photos you have posted of the pubs we all went in as kids! The inner-city is bereft of all that we remember as kids; the shops, the people, the work-places, the community.....endless!!!!!!!

As to whether that is progress or loss is a matter of opinion.

I hold no rose-tinted memories of outside toilets or brew-houses, or the fact that we suffered the damp and lack of money or personel posessions, rather,I treasure the way we were and the way we lived together as of greater importance! For what did we do? We moved out and away, yet love to remember those old days. Further, what will we, or our descendants, do in time? We, or they, will move further away and discuss the same as we do here!

Birmingham???????? AND THERE LIES THE SADNESS FOR ALL BRUMMIES!!!!!

Tony

Tony

pudding

« Reply #1396 on: January 20, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
Wittington,(tony)I did not lighten you photo's Phil did as for your last post and statement I agree with you one hundred persent mate O0

pudding

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy