Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745063 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1485 on: February 09, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Hi Pudding,

You must be talking about St Clements Vicarage (middle of the photo), I don't think it was ever used as a Convent though as I thought St Clements was C of E.  Though St Joseph's Convent was on the corner of Needham St. I suppose at a push it could have been the old Manor House on Chattaway St but unlikely as it was too far fro Cattell Grove.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #1486 on: February 09, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »
Phil, thanks for that lovely photo, and addresses of businesses from Bullivants to the garage at Cheatham Street, My memory was right, when I said that I believed Spencers Greengrocers was next to the "Soldiers Return Pub" Jordons Tobaconists, later became "Flynns" I could not recall the name of the cake shop, which was "Baines" then as I said there was W Griffiths butcher, In later years, Mr Greenway, owner of Bullivants, bought the row of shops, what was the paper shop, was retained and run as a grocery/ newsagent, by the son of Peter Greenway, and before its closure, Bullivants was run by Peters daughter Pam, a well loved, and sadly missed store.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1487 on: February 09, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »
Gibson

Thats the problem when they start pulling neighbourhoods apart, they loose all semblance of community. It never seems to be regained either. It may be a little better now they are building more houses once again, but how to you foster a sense of community in a tower block or a block of flats? You probably only ever see your neighbour in the lift.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1488 on: February 09, 2011, 02:56:52 PM »
Hi all,

Here is a very early photo of St. Clements Church taken about the time my great-grandparents were married there, Christmas Day 1907. To explain, prior to WW1, for centuries, the most popular day for getting married was always Christmas Day. My great-grandfather lived in Argyle St., and my great-grandmother lived in Long Acre. They then settled in Erskine St., Vauxhall.

Photo No. 2 - all that is left now!

Phil, that webresizer link you suggested is fantastic.....many thanks.

Tony

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1489 on: February 09, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »
Hi,

Sorry!

gibson

« Reply #1490 on: February 09, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
Phil, its true when they started demolishing after the war, they ripped the hearts out of the neighbourhoods, true they built houses in Nechells Park Road, and the surrounding roads, but the only shops they built, were on the corner of Aston Church Road, and Nechells Park Road, all the old residents were moved away, and the place just died, Nechells Park Road, and Great Lister Street had the best shopping areas you could want, and everyone seemed so friendly, you could always call on a neighbour if you needed help, but as you rightly say, the only time you get to see a neighbour in a tower block, is in the lift, but its not much different in houses, you barely see the people next door, the days I remember of old Brum, are long since gone   :(

pudding

« Reply #1491 on: February 13, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »
Hi Phil and all

As I was looking through some old papers I came across an article witten in the Evening Mail October 1996 by Carl Chinn, about 14 Great Francis Street the beginning of the Co-op in 1881, by the railway workers of the area. I know by 1885 it moved further up Great Francis Street, and the old Co-op became a post office which shows in the picture.

As you grew up in Great Francis Street do you remember if it was still a post office or had been demolished before your time. Could you tell me if 14 Great Francis Street was Saltley end or Duddeston Mill Road end?

Pudding.
Where there is a will there is a way

blane

« Reply #1492 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »
Hi Pudding  -  I believe the Post Office was just up from the snooker hall,on the same side,almost facing The Junction pub.

vauxonion

« Reply #1493 on: February 13, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
Pudding what a great shot of our post office pitty the shop next door is missing it was the greatest sweet shop in my world next to that was the entry that led to the local snooker hall. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1494 on: February 13, 2011, 09:23:44 PM »
This would be the post office next to where the road sets back by the printing works which if memory serves was was on the corner of Pitney St. The photo was taken in 1966 not long before demolition.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1495 on: February 13, 2011, 09:50:09 PM »
Blane,Dek,and Phil

Thank you for the photos and the info. I always though the co op started up on the corner of gt Francis st and Newdegate st

Pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy