Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745088 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1518 on: February 15, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
Dek

I'm no expert on trams, but I don't think they ever did travel down Great Lister St, at least I've never come across a photo showing it and none of the old photos I have of Great Lister St shows overhead cables or tram lines. I think that most of the trams going to Nechells, Saltley & Ward End used Bloomsbury St and Great Francis St. Perhaps the canal bridge at Gosta Green was too much for them?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1519 on: February 15, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »
Yes 146 bloomsbury st is on the corner with Claverdon St.
Phil. The 1913 map does show tramlines in Gt Lister St, but don't know when they disappeared

pudding

« Reply #1520 on: February 15, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »
Hi Mike thank you for the info do you have a street plan map of the area you can post please

Pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

mikejee

« Reply #1521 on: February 15, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
Bit difficult because of size problems. but will this do?

pudding

« Reply #1522 on: February 15, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »
Mike the P.H. on your street plan would that be the Nelson on the corner of Rupert street? if it is then the plan is too far up gt Lister st to see the Turks head pub, but thank for trying mike

Pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1523 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
Pudding,

Here is one of Mike's maps cropped and enlarged, showing the Turks Head, but it doesn't show the Bulls Heads as a PH.

Mike,

As  I said I'm no expert on trams, and I have looked hard for a picture of a tram on Great Lister St, but I suppose I will come across one next week now, and yes you can see the tram lines on this map.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1524 on: February 15, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
Phil, the plan of the area around the Turks head is just what I wanted thank you.
well Phil I am sorry to say the photo I am posting now is the last I have in my collection of that area of old Duddeston/Nechells and again the junction pub more or less from the same location but further back showing more of the surrounding buildings I think the building on right of the photo is the co op and Newdegate st and the road on the left would that be Ashted row? or gt brook st?

Pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1525 on: February 15, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
Yes the road to the left in the photo would be Ashted Row mind you if you took a few paces backward in to Vauxhall Rd you would be at the bottom of Great Brook St as it came to a V junction with Ashted Row with only Dr Tighe's garden on the corner.

Of you then turned around you would see this view of the Nechells Conservative Club with the Secretary standing on the steps and a little further down the road on the corner of Erskine St the Adelaide my one time local.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1526 on: February 16, 2011, 11:57:54 AM »
Hi Phil, and all

Phil I owe you an apology for stating in my last post, that the picture of the junction at Bloomsbury in Nechells was the last one I had regarding to that side of the district. After going through my old family album I came across a photo of the old church of St James in Barrack Street,  personally I have never seen this church myself but it was the church my grandparents where married in.
Are the houses in the background on Vauxhall rd?  Thank you for your last photo of Vauxhall Rd I noticed that there may have been a pawn shop opposite the club because you can see the three balls in the skyline on the right hand side of the photo, are we now looking towards the mill?

Pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1527 on: February 16, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »
Hi Pudding

I would think the houses that you can see in the background would be on St James Street where they built Vauxhall Gardens School which I am told is now part of Duddeston Manor School.

Yes it would be a pawnbrokers, at around that time there was a pawnshop at 158 Vauxhall Rd by the name of Harry Field. The view is facing down toward Lawley St and the City.

My only memory is of St James Church when it was a bombed ruin and the only thing that was left was tombstones and the door to the crypt that was used as an air raid shelter during the war.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1528 on: February 16, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »
By the way I've found out why there is a shortage of tram photos on Great Lister St and nobody remembers seeing trams running down it. They stopped in 1922 and the trolley bus service took over.

Also to answer another question from 1922 to 1925 the trolleybuses turned by reversing into Argyle St but from 1925 they turned on a loop in Long Acre.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy