Author Topic: Ward End Park  (Read 29440 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Ward End Park
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »
Darren just wait till Gardener Gerald sees your post.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Darren Linnecor

« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »
Thank you look forward to hopefully hearing from him

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
wardend park has it was
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JJGengland

« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2023, 09:58:29 PM »
The building is still there its having some work done to it, my farther was a member

JJGengland

« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2023, 10:04:06 PM »
I remember going there as child with my brother and sister grew bananas and oranges, it was full of exotic plants, it was in the early 90s when things changed a certain type destroyed the park they smashed greenhouse destroyed the bowling greens with their cricket bats it was by the late 90s it became one of the worst parks in brum and still is.

SENSIBLE

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2023, 04:12:44 PM »
Hi I've just joined this group and am saddened to here of the demise of ward and park.
my nan lived in alum rock and I had many a happy time around the area.
on a separate note does anyone have any information on Loxton Street school where my dad( bert Linnecor) went to

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5eeb2397-cc30-43e6-94e0-82a6e9922672  O0
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

mike mancott

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2023, 07:01:20 PM »
I remember going there as child with my brother and sister grew bananas and oranges, it was full of exotic plants, it was in the early 90s when things changed a certain type destroyed the park they smashed greenhouse destroyed the bowling greens with their cricket bats it was by the late 90s it became one of the worst parks in brum and still is.

Sometime in the early 1950`s my cousin and I had started collecting cacti plants. We heard about the glass houses being cleared in Ward End Park, and we both went there and were given each a large cacti plant.
Our collections grew to about 40 plants each. and when my cousin and I married -- not to each other -- around the same time in 1960, we both gave our collections to a younger cousin  whose father had moved to a property near to Redditch, and had a large greenhouse.
The story ends with the cousin becoming the largest supplier of cacti and succulents to garden centres in the UK.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2023, 09:22:51 AM »
Across the road up past Common Lane was a church. We used to catch NEWTS at the back of the grounds

SENSIBLE

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2023, 11:47:42 PM »
Across the road up past Common Lane was a church. We used to catch NEWTS at the back of the grounds

Was that the church between Common Lane and Drews Lane Ed?  I can't remember another one in that location.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2023, 10:01:46 AM »
That's the one Sensi. We might catch 1 or 2 maybe and take them home as we had a pond in our garden

SENSIBLE

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2023, 10:54:56 AM »
That's the one Sensi. We might catch 1 or 2 maybe and take them home as we had a pond in our garden

Great times Ed.   O0  I bet you went train spotting down Aston Church Road too.  8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy