Author Topic: Old Brummie sayings got any ?  (Read 284013 times)

perry commoner

Re: Old Brummie sayings got any ?
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
I am glad to see that 'a face as long as livery street' is mentioned because that is solely brummie. One or two of the others suggested are northern sayings and probably 'lifted' from the radio over the years.

2 I would like to add were often used by my parents (brummie born and bred)

'a dudley moon' meaning your backside and 'all around the wrekin' meaning that you were being long-winded in explaining something.
You can always tell a brummie but you can't tell him much!

mazbeth

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
I was thinking, only yesterday, how my mom used to say ''get out of the horse road.''
(even though the roads had been used by cars for a long time in the 60's).
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

tramp

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 02:06:45 PM »
My granddad again, after a meal,

"I thank the Lord for what I've had,
  If there'd been more,
  I would've been glad''.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
 i give him a fourpenny one(punch in the chops)  or you could have said shut your gob or might have been told they live over the brush(not wed) or they have had that on the knock   or they are all kippers and courtins or us kids would say gooin ta play on the bombings or your mum might say keep away from the cut(canal) or gooin on the buzzz or you bin playing the wag or wagin it from school
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
Roy,

You have a terrific memory, remembering that, us kids would say ''gooin ta play on the bombings'' that really clanged as after nearly 60 years as it rang a very loud bell - thanks for that it's made my day.  A fourpenny one is another one.  I have a class here right now, and keep tapping on the laptop while they do exercises, role plays etc. It'll finish soon.

tramp

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »
A woman commenting on another who she considers to be 'a bit stuck up',''don't what she thinks she is - Lady Muck, all mink coat and no knickers''.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »
"May the lord drop his clogs on you"

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »
I've just remembered another Brummie one, from schooldays.
'The back of Rackhams'
(anyone remember that? Needless to say neither me nor any of my friends had anything to do with that  ??? )
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

tramp

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »
Have just found Rackhams on a map, was that Greys before? way back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
tramp

Rackhams was a posh store that was built on the corner of Corporation St and Bull St probably after you left Brum.

The phrase that includes the words "The Back of Rackhams" refers to ladies of the evening plying their trade in Temple Row and the Cathedral grounds.

Hence "she's up the back of Rachams making a few bob"

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2008, 09:28:59 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for that.  In Berlin it was up  the side of Charlottenburg railway station, apparently, for a few Marks extra, you could get a carriage to yourself.  There were no sleepers as the British Military train to West Germany, was once a day each way in daylight.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy