Author Topic: Oh that this quality of service was the standard in football, Open & Honest  (Read 1275 times)

Gherid

Trott thought he had been unfairly given out in the first Ashes Test at Trent Bridge, and this is today's statement from  the ICC:

The International Cricket Council have confirmed that England batsman Jonathan Trott should not have been given out lbw during the first Ashes Test.

Trott was initially given not out, but dismissed by third umpire Marais Erasmus when Australia used the Decision Review System.

The ICC's said it was one of "three uncorrected errors" at Trent Bridge.

"The umpires did a good job under difficult conditions," said ICC chief executive David Richardson.

"However, like the players, umpires can also have good and bad days but we all know that the umpire's decision, right or wrong, is final and must be accepted."

An honest, timely and clear statement. Well done the ICC.

Why are the FA, the League and FIFA all so coy about making similar statements, and thereby end up having all of the paying customers on their backs continually, and them continually questioning the ability and decisions of referees as a result?

Tennis and Cricket are so much better served by their governing bodies, whether in technology supporting decisions or in this matter. Football is the poor relation in so many ways, but in particular in not having honesty, openness and fairness at the heart of their game.

planetmalc

What do you expect when 'the professional foul' is an accepted part of the game? :-\
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Gherid

What I expect is entirely different from what is going to happen. Sepp Blatter refused to accept goal line technology only two years ago, but had to bow to pressure. If is takes that long for an idiot like Blatter to be cowed into such a miniscule change that in itself was about ten years overdue, then I think I will be pushing up the daisies before anything fair will be associated with football. That, very  unfortunately, is the reality,

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy