Author Topic: Birchfield Road school Perry Barr  (Read 10858 times)

Alan John Humpage

Re: Birchfield Road school Perry Barr
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 01:29:36 AM »
I was there from 1950 to 1960  Our music teacher was a Mr Lowe. We had two woodwork teachers namely Mr Roberts and Mr Griffiths. A Mr Jarrett was the in charge of the "Printing Press" but Mr Taylor I remember as more of a history type of teacher, and not many of us liked him very much as he could change his personality at a drop of a hat! Mr Whittaker was the headmaster.
I was there 1957 to 1961 and mr Taylor was a horrible fat nasty man , he made my life a misery! I'm glad others have written about the way he was too!
Alan Humpage

Alan John Humpage

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 01:37:39 AM »
Hello Norman,

Brian Nicholls formerly of Wilnecote Grove. We were in the same clss together (Mr Bowsher) and were fans of Sturmy Archer gears.

Brian Nicholls.
Im Alan Humpage and I went to birchfeild senior school from 1957 to 1961.. MR FAT TAYLOR made my life a misery! I sympathise with anyone else who he picked on. Infact, I told my daughter recently about school life and she was that mad about some of the things us kids had to endure she typed it in google and manager to find this website! I'm still friends with Johnny Charles but he was in a different class to me. I lived in the back to back houses 1/64 High st Aston. My junior school was Albert Road. I worked at izons chemist on a Saturday morning when I was 13 too. Im 76 and I guess we're all getting on a bit so If anyone wants to get intouch it would be great to reminisce over our youthful days! Alan Humpage

frederick

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
Hi Alan,
We had premesse in Albert rd, where it was there as been a school built there now is that where your junior school was.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Davejohnston

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Like many of you I remember some of the teachers, Mr Taylor who was very loud and strict, particularly during “lining up” in the school yard. Mr Smith who taught maths. Mr Lowe music. Not sure who taught metal work, or woodworking.
I enjoyed the chess sessions, and still play, but not very good. Also remember the printing machine, but not sure of the teachers name.
I also remember having dinners in the little dining room. Always trying to get in the last sitting for the extras.
Does anyone remember having to walk to the playing field to football etc
I lived on Victoria Road (no 93) next door the Garry Anderson, and a few doors away from Roger Wilkinson, and Howard Hughes.
Many of us used to go to the park near Aston Villa football ground, and spend hours there.
Does anyone have similar memories?

norman ward

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
Hi Dave. I remember going to the playing fields with the class.We all had to walk down Aldridge Rd. and into Wellhead Lane and go down the side of the bus garage. Also the metalwork teacher we had was a Mr Lane. The woodwork teachers were Mr Roberts and Mr Griffiths. Mr Jarrett was in charge of the printing press.We also had a Mr Thorne and a Mr Williams. These two were great teachers. But as already said. Mr Taylor could be a horrible unpredictable man who talked about the war a lot as though he had won it for us by himself!

Brum Walker

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 11:58:34 AM »
Taylor doesn't get a 'Mister' from me. I remember him as a misshapen, loud-mouthed bully. It was his job to call all pupils to 'form up' for lessons, first thing in the mornings. He always carried a straight cane, which had polished, .303 cartridge cases, fitted to each end, and he fancied himself as a make-do Sergeant-Major.

I didn't like him one bit. He came across to me as something of a 'megalomaniac'. He fitted the 'wannabee' stereotype, just trying to cut  a dash. I can't recall if he had actually been in the military during WWII, (which had ceased only five years before I went to Birchfields.) but he probably hadn't.  If I am wrong then I apologise, but true heroes don't talk about their part in a war. I just laughed to myself at his ridiculous pomposity. Thankfully I got away from him, when I moved to Great Barr. I learned only one thing from him. How NOT to treat my subordinates in the RN!

JW  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy