Author Topic: Green Lane Baths  (Read 2628 times)

LORZ

Green Lane Baths
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone remember thhe old baths at Green Lane, Small Heath, I used to peep through the keyhole and wonder what it would be like to be inside.

Lorz

planetmalc

Re: Green Lane Baths
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone remember thhe old baths at Green Lane, Small Heath, I used to peep through the keyhole and wonder what it would be like to be inside.

Lorz

Hi LORZ,

I was a regular there in the 50's & 60's; met loads of new people and made lots of new friends because of those baths.    Inside there were two swimming pools (one of which was only rarely used by the general public, being more for the swimming club or special groups) and they had the changing cubicles around the edge of the pool, rather than in a separate part of the building.    I think the pools were around 25yards long (so, a bit shorter than more modern baths) and the deep end was around 6 foot.    The diving boards  -  which were removed in the 60's  -  were around 6 feet high (max).    The water was green (unlike, say, Sparkhill which had blue water).     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »
I did go to Green Lane baths but it must be all of 60 years ago. I seem to remember that the changing facilities consisted of a sort of a curtain arrangement which ran around the sides of the baths. 
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

planetmalc

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »
I did go to Green Lane baths but it must be all of 60 years ago. I seem to remember that the changing facilities consisted of a sort of a curtain arrangement which ran around the sides of the baths.

Yes, that was the pool that was only rarely used by the public (I think it was known locally as 'The Old Baths', but I've no idea why (unless The Old Baths was the first to be completed and was opened to the public while the second one was still being built).    The other pool had proper cubicles arranged in a 'U' formation: females down one side (which they kept their clothes in for the duration of their visit) and males had the opposite side and the end also.     Males however used their cubicles for changing only, and then had to take their clothes in a clothes-basket to the attendant.    It's a womans' world! ;D     

planetmalc

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
Apparently there was a first class baths and a second class baths, so that'd explain the changing arrangements.

LORZ

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:12 AM »
OOps, I've still not got the ahng of moving around this site, only just seen your comments from months ago, I seem to remember cubicles, I think, not really sure..

RoyMcC

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »
Ah yes indeed, we were bussed up there from Sheldon for our weekly swimming lesson - early 60s. Got my 1 Width and 1 Length certificates there with the teacher hovering with some sort of contraption to fish you out if you looked like you were drowning  :)

LORZ

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:29 AM »
I remember Green Lane baths being next to the Library, I had an aunt that lived further down in some back houses in a kind of yard with wash house opposite.  I think I only got to go the baths there once or twice, but loved peeking thru the keyhole of the green door as a tiny girl.

Later at junior school, I used to go to Stetchford Baths, they were new.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy