Author Topic: handsworth in the 50s  (Read 30248 times)

DavidWilliams

handsworth in the 50s
« on: July 29, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
anyone out there who came from Handsworth in the 50s /60s?

Empty

Re: handsworth in the 50s
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:03:15 AM »
Hi,
I lived in Aston & Birchfield and went to school in Handsworth from 1959. I was at Westminster Rd school when Mr Thomas was the head. My dad knew him as a young teacher at Allcock St, Deritend in the 1920s and 30s.
We used to be taken on nature walks in Handsworth Park and had swimming at Grove Lane Baths. Behind the school was a playing field that backed onto Stamford Rd and in the early 60s a new Junior school was built on this field. Shame.

DavidWilliams

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
hi I went to wattville rd. we also used grove lane baths I also remember the Handsworth flower shows held in that park what happy memories that brings back cheers dave

Lorrayne

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:55:34 PM »
hi I went to wattville rd. we also used grove lane baths I also remember the Handsworth flower shows held in that park what happy memories that brings back cheers dave

Judy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »
Hi David - I grew up in Handsworth.  Left in 1956. I was always in Handsworth Park and loved the Flower Shows and Talent Contests in the summer.  Always went to Grove Lane Baths on a Sunday morning, then into the cafe, and out into the park to meet friends, maybe popping into the Hollygate Cafe in Holly Road before making my way back home.  Nineveh Dance Studios was where I was on Saturday nights and the Regal on Sunday afternoons!
Judy

DavidWilliams

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
hi there thanks for your reply just like you I frequented both the park and the café I remember playing the juke box in there and of course I often went to the regal the manager was a small chap named mr.lewis but he new how to control the cinemar I would go to the Albion or walk  on to the Regal ,or the Grand ,the Elite or even the palladium at hockley where abouts did you live then ? :)  catch you later by for now.

Judy

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
David, I went to all the cinemas in Handsworth that you've mentioned.  Also the Villa Cross!  The Grand was a bit of a flea pit and I only remember going there a couple of times.  I lived in Soho Avenue at the top of Soho Hill, so all of them were in walking distance - apart from The Albion which was a bus ride on the 73 or 74.
The Hollygate I remember well with its jukebox and us teenagers congregating in there for a glass of pop.  I found a photo of the old interior some years ago.  If I can find it I will post it on here.
Judy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »
Judy & David

A couple of Memories for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Judy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
Thanks Phil - think I might have posted that photo of the Nineveh Dance Studios on the other forum a while ago  ;)    Always good to see it again, and of course the lovely Regal which is now a Lidle store!!!
Judy

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »
any one remember the Riviera café on the soho road al so the youth club in crockets road in the late 50s and 60s
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Judy

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
David
I have found the photo of the Hollygate Cafe.  Mind you it was taken quite a few years before we used it  ;D  - not sure of date.
Judy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy