Author Topic: birmingham what part do you come from  (Read 8815 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: birmingham what part do you come from
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »
Dek

If there was a posh end to Nechells, then I've always thought it was the Nechells Park Rd end, That why I never ventured much past the top of Bloomsbury St when a child.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tony armstrong

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
as you know phil i lived in francis st and my sister in law thought we were posh because all us boys wore underpants. :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 03:10:18 PM »
I thought that being posh was wearing shoes that were not Daily Mail boots or baseball boots or pumps.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
I thought that being posh  was having butter on your jam door step
kingsheath was the place to come from only folk with a few bob come from there, also being posh was to go on a midland red bus  and pay that bit more
but like they say you can take the kid out of brum but you can not take brum out of the kid

there is no place like brum its the best place to have a life
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

SENSIBLE

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
kingsheath was the place to come from only folk with a few bob come from there, also being posh was to go on a midland red bus  and pay that bit more
but like they say you can take the kid out of brum but you can not take brum out of the kid

The Brum we knew as kids has changed completely. Why do you think so many true Brummies have left.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

trapio

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 03:25:25 AM »

I could not have had the variety of life I'm still enjoying if I'd stayed in brum.....but

I've been and remain extremely grateful for what a warts an' all brummie boyhood planted in me..... O0
Integrity is non negotiable

Akatarawa

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 10:50:57 AM »

The Brum we knew as kids has changed completely. Why do you think so many true Brummies have left.

True, but since I haven't seen Brum in yonks and yonks there remains the memories and they don't change much, only get better as time goes by :)

Memories of trawling for sticklebacks and tadpoles in Witton Lakes.  Looking for and digging the best clay out the banks to make all sorts of things like toy bricks, clay molds to cast lead soldiers.

Collecting shrapnel, jumping off the outhouse roof with a home made parachute :)

My brother and I flicking burning sulphur at each other and getting holes burnt in our arms when it hit.

Playing at the Perry Common rec. on the roundabout.

Fetching bread from Bettley's bakers shop down at the Witton Lodge road circle and biting a corner off on the way home.

Last time I looked at Google Earth the whole area, houses, roads, including schools had been rebuilt and I hardly recognised anything.

vauxonion

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »
Sparkbrook and Highgate sides of BH till just 13 - then away 9+ months of year at residential school - then left for good - have never set foot since 1959 - maybe next year.

Be a shock to the system mate A  pair of charity raisers walking into town scantily dressed were stoned and abused a couple of days ago  >:( >:(

john2000

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

Be a shock to the system mate A  pair of charity raisers walking into town scantily dressed were stoned and abused a couple of days ago  >:( >:(
What's the odd's Nothing will be done about it,? .. It's a case of "Don't do what I do", but do as I say. You can dress like a penguin and wear a burka, but not shorts,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

blane

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
I came from Nechells/Saltley area's and still enjoy visiting the places for a drink with old friends in our old local,The Albion Vaults,still exactly as it was all those years ago,a nice friendly pub. O0 O0 O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
blane

I would love to be able to return to Nechells and have a drink with old friends, trouble is the old friends no longer live there and all my old locals have been demolished.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy