Author Topic: birmingham what part do you come from  (Read 8814 times)

blane

Re: birmingham what part do you come from
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
Phil.  None of us live in Nechells now,we all dispersed to different parts of the U.K.,but the first Monday of the month, those that can,meet up for a pint and chinwag.One of our number died recently,and at his funeral last Wednesday,10 friends attended and 2 sent their condolences.We all met when we were 11 years old,just starting senior school at Loxton St. and still mates after 60 years. :) :) :)

trapio

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »
I saw Ladypool Rd after the tornados on BBC online a few years ago-and have looked at the area on google since, and few photos on BF - it is now an utterly alien environment from the one in which I grew up  - different: races, languages, cultures, belief systems, food, clothing, trades, shops and social norms and customs.   

Where I now live is also in another language, yet there are many more social and cultural norms that far from alien, while food and clothing are far better than in UK.   If I do visit brum next time, I'll make sure that I run through my memory bank a couple of times before I do  - have no wish to taint memories O0
Integrity is non negotiable

omninan

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
hi akatarawa
I too used to go to witton lakes for stickleback and always got upset when they died when I took them home ! the park is still there but not the fish !
I used to go to the rec in witton lodge rd as I went to brownies at the church there st martins . Rec has gone it now has posh benches but not seen many people sitting on them .

Gherid

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
Originally from Handsworth, between the park & The Farcroft. then Erdington, near Witton Lakes.

maggie

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 04:43:19 AM »
I used to go to Erdington once a month to the baths
and have a Turkishbath,scrub down and massage,

Is that still there or like other things turned to dust.
I can remember stalls along the man street but thats about it, I do remember it was a long trip
from GtBarr but worth it.
do unto others as you would be done by

omninan

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 07:12:18 AM »
hello maggie
yes erdington swimming baths still there. dont know about the inside but the outside still looks the same as it was when I used to go swimming there with junior school many moons ago  !!
erdington[size=78%] high street is now full of cafes and charity shops .It could do with a bit more variety[/size]

maggie

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »
Thankyou for reply,  I used those baths through
the 1950s my monthly treat, when I got married in 1957 I moved further out of town so could,nt manage the four buses involved (pricewise)
Wish there was a baths like it here inHamilton, Auckland has a couple but I,m not going over a
100 miles just to be pummled

Gherid

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »
Never went to the baths in Erdington, used to use Kingstanding baths when I was in Erdington. I guess because we were towards the New Oscott/Great Barr end of the borough. Erdington baths was, as already said, still there last time I drove over. Learned to swim at Grove Lane Handsworth. & went there lots of times as a kid.

maggie

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
Cant swim, never learned but did love the hot steam,cold plunge and massage, do you know it only cost 5/- and you could stay all day if you
wished...Visit the baths then the Hairdresser, off to the Westend dancing that night,BLISS.

Gherid

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
Brilliant. You know I never used the Turkish baths, despite many people I knew using them at Grove Lane. I guess I was too young to bother then, and now they don't exist as far as I know.

Terry B

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
 :) I lived for the most part on the border of Moseley (the end of Wake Green Road), although if I walked a few yards down the road I was in Hall Green or Kings Heath! When I married, the company moved me to Dublin for a year but on my return, we set up home in Northfield, right next to the railway station. We lived there for five years until a job opportunity came up for us in 1976 to move to Lancashire where we live to this day.

We visit dear old Brum occasionally and visit old friends and relatives. Things have changed dramatically since our day not all for the better. We like the changes to the town centre but Sparkhill and Sparkbrook look tatty now. Stirchley, Selly Oak and Cotteridge seem to have lost their appeal as well. However, we can still detect the old Brummie spirit and when people knock it on TV, it makes us realise they know nothing about us at all!  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy