Author Topic: The Red Lion Pub - Duke Street  (Read 9527 times)

littleem1906

The Red Lion Pub - Duke Street
« on: August 06, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
Hi,

My ancestor, John Henry Stanley, was a publican of The Red Lion Pub in Duke Street from about 1891 to about 1901. I know that his son Josiah was listed as a publican in the 1911 census and possibly ran or at least worked in the same pub.

I'd like to know if anyone remembers this pub. I'm interested in finding out who owned it after 1901 and when it was demolished. If anyone also has photos of the pub I'd be interested in seeing them.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Red Lion Pub - Duke Street
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »
Hi littleem

Welcome to you, first of all The Red Lion is not listed in the early editions of Kelly's Directories that I have available. The first time I can find it in the directory's that I have is 1937, at that time the landlord was a William Barlowe.

In the early days it was probably just a beer house (no license for spirits) so it didn't get a listing. As far as I am aware it would have been demolished with the rest of the street in the late 60's early 70's. I have no photo of the pub itself except for these two half's on separate photos.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:32:54 AM »
Looking at Kellys directories for the period that I have access to gives the following (remember that it is reasobable to assume that the publication date is up to a year after the date of the information )[/font]
 [/font]
72 Duke St[/font], beer retailer (which probably means it was a beerhouse)[/font]
1883                      Mrs Caroline Hunt[/font]
1884-1903             John Stanley[/font]
1904-1905             William Marsh[/font]
1908-1910             William Marshall[/font]
1912-1915             William Clark[/font]
1921                      George Thorogood[/font]
1932-1940             William Barlow[/font]
1943-1956             Mrs Lily May Williams[/font]
For Kellys after that landlords are not listed.[/font]
 [/font]
The electoral roll shows that William Barlow was there from  at least 1925, though the pub does not appear to be listed in the 1922 rolls, so maybe in that year whoever was running it was not living there.[/font]
It is first named as a public house in 1937, which means it probably then became a full pub and not just a beerhouse[/font]
 [/font]
Incidently in 1883 there was a John Stanley, coal dealer at 96 Duke St.[/font]
 [/font]
Again from Kellys:[/font]
209 Bloomsbury St[/font] , beer retailer [/font]
1908                      Joseph S. Stanley[/font]
1910-1913             Josiah Stanley[/font]
But by 1915 Josiah is a beer retailer at 177 Hurst St[/font]
In 1921 he is missing from Kellys[/font]

mikejee

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:48 AM »
In addition, the licensing magistrates granted the licence to John Stanley at the Red Lion on 7.6.1883. Newspaper reports sho he was convicted of licensing offences. also that he was a "Metal dealer" (which I thnk means scrap merchant, and was convicted of a metal dealing offence , and warned to be careful in an earlier case where a relation had taken metal there. A 11 year old John Stanley from Duke St (could it be a son?) ws also involved with a Fagan-like person, who trained boys to go and steal. Because of size restrictions i cannot easily put the cuttings on here, but if you do want to see them, then IM me with your e-mail address and I will send them to you

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
Mike,

A little tip, if you use "notepad" as opposed to "Word" when saving text to upload to the forum you will find that you do not get all those extra notations.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
thanks Phil. if it is just a short note i usually just write direct, but this time it wasn't short. To be honest I have never yet used notepad, but will try and remember.

lynchy35

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:24:52 PM »
I believe this to be my ancester too. John Henry Stanley was my Great Grandad. 

jagjane

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
does anyone remember the stables on Duke Street, the name would have been whittall, we cant find any information on the business, but we do know it was a horse/carriage (cab) company.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
Jagjane

Welcome to the forum, have you any further information such as an approximate date. because I have looked in the directories back as far as 1890 in ten year jumps and can find no Cab proprietor or even any business by the name of Whittall on Duke Street.  There were other horse related businesses on Duke Street but none in the name of Whittall.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jagjane

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »
thank you phil, its proving very difficult to trace and we cant understand why, as family remember it, behind the cinema apparently, 1952 is a date someone has just given me as they remember. harry is possibly the first name, again names keep coming in in different orders ie harry & henry being switched round. When he died, his wife sold the business making an a huge profit.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
thank you phil, its proving very difficult to trace and we cant understand why, as family remember it, behind the cinema apparently, 1952 is a date someone has just given me as they remember. harry is possibly the first name, again names keep coming in in different orders ie harry & henry being switched round. When he died, his wife sold the business making an a huge profit.

jagjane

There is a problem with what you say, the streets that ran at the rear of the nearest cinema (The Gaiety) were Ryder Street & Gem Street. I have marked on the attached map where the cinema was
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy