Author Topic: The Red Lion Pub - Duke Street  (Read 9524 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Red Lion Pub - Duke Street
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
jagjane

This is the listing for Duke Street c1950

DUKE STREET (4)
Gosta green to 60 Coleshill street.
MAP H 4.
WEST SIDE.
10 Hine Rt. H. painter & decrtr
13 Duke of York P.H. Harry Brindley
Electricity Sub-Station
Evans & Adlard & Turner (B'ham) Ltd. Paper mkrs Dralda house
Bell & Harwood Ltd.steel mers
28 BritishThomson-Houston Co. Ltd. electrcl. engnrs. (stores)
29 Porchester Tools, engnrs
30 Scott Jas. E. shopkpr
32 Shum W. F. & Co. Ltd brass founders
34 & 36 Hicks Harold Ltd. hay & straw dlrs
49 Bibb Lawrie & Co. Ltd. brass founders
... here is Lawrence st ...
EAST SIDE.
70 Lane George & Sons
Ltd. mattress mfrs.(temporary address)
71 & 72 Red Lion (The). Mrs. Lily May Williams
75 Ravenscroft G. & Son Ltd. flour mers
75 Griffin Harold, machine tool mer
here is Lawrence st
Police Station (D division sub-station)
Brueton Garage, motor engnrs
114 Green's Garage, motor engnrs
114 Partridge D. W. Ltd. coal dlrs
here is Gosta grn
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jagjane

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »
thanks phil, I don't think it was a street, just some enterance at the back? of the cinema leading to some stables, that's what family & friends seem to know!, this search is proving really difficult, the only thing I ever found was an advert in a paper confirming the initials HH.Whittall on a horse rug. maybe I need to search Wills/death/birth certs and see if that gives us a better start? as having difficulties with business registers also.

townie

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 06:33:07 PM »
Red Lion (The), 71 & 72 Duke Street, BirminghamBirmingham pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses,   Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Birmingham, Warwickshire. The Birmingham, Warwickshire listing uses   information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar   staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to   Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1881/Caroline Hunt/Retail Brewer, Widow/33/Birmingham Warwickshire/Census  ****
 1881/Caroline Parton/Mother, Widow/60/Birmingham Warwickshire/Census
 1881/Charles Grey/Brother In Law, Brass Founder/23/Birmingham  Warwickshire/Census
 1881/Harriet Grey/Sister In Law, Electro Burnisher/22/Birmingham  Warwickshire/Census
 1881/William Grey/Nephew/1/Birmingham Warwickshire/Census
 1881/Henry Hunt/Brother In Law, General Machinist/44/Birmingham  Warwickshire/Census

1891/John Stanley/Brass Worker & Publican/42/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
 1891/Mary Jane Stanley/Wife/40/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
 1891/Albert Hy Stanley/Son/16/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
 1891/Harriet Stanley/Daughter, Iron Hinge Puncher/18/Birmingham,  Warwickshire/Census
 1891/Ada Stanley/Daughter/15/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
 1891/Josiah Stanley/Son/13/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
 1891/John Stanley/Son/10/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
 1891/Maud Stanley/Daughter/8/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census

1892/John Stanley/Beer Retailer, 72 Duke street/../../Kellys Directory ****

1915/William A Clark/Beer Retailer, 72 Duke street/../../Kellys Directory ****

1940/William Barlow/../../../Kellys Directory ****
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 06:57:41 PM »
jagjane

You say this HH Whittall was the proprietor of a horse cab company, wasn't 1952 it bit late in the day for that sort of business. We aren't raking about a taxi cab business are we?

Even if we are, I still can't find any business registered to a HH Whittall around that date, perhaps if Mikejee (another member) looks in he might take a look for you a fresh pair if eyes might help.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 10:59:50 PM »
There was a Henty Whittall who was a cab proprietor , but he died in 1874, and his address is given as Cross St, though possibly that was his home address and not his business address. The middle cutting is a report on his marriage

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:40 PM »
Well done once again Mike, as I said I only went back to 1880. If I had gone back only 4 more years to 1876 I would have found Henry Whittall at 48 Old Cross Street as you stated and I suppose Old Cross Street could be construed as being at the rear of the Gaiety Cinema though back then it would have still been a music hall.

By 1878 Henry or his heirs had gone and 48 was listed to a cow keeper, now that's a new one on me, I wonder of it was some sort of a dairy? Back on topic I'm not able to find any Whittall's after 1876, did you have any luck?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
Only looked for Harry, and nothing later in newspapers, though 1902-1914 and 1921-38 are not online for Birmingham. If you just look for whittall , you get hundreds, including whittall st

littleem1906

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 03:05:34 PM »
Gosh it's been so long since I posted this. Thank you all for the replies! It was fascinating to read.
mikejee - if you're still around and have the details of the newspaper report you mentioned I'd love to see it.

mikejee

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:52 PM »
the details of the newspapers in my reply 15 are immediately below the the scan

littleem1906

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
Newspaper relating to this post?
In addition, the licensing magistrates granted the licence to John Stanley at the Red Lion on 7.6.1883. Newspaper reports sho he was convicted of licensing offences. also that he was a "Metal dealer" (which I thnk means scrap merchant, and was convicted of a metal dealing offence , and warned to be careful in an earlier case where a relation had taken metal there. A 11 year old John Stanley from Duke St (could it be a son?) ws also involved with a Fagan-like person, who trained boys to go and steal. Because of size restrictions i cannot easily put the cuttings on here, but if you do want to see them, then IM me with your e-mail address and I will send them to you

mikejee

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
I seem to have 8 cuttings saved on this, only three of the smallest being below 80kb (the limit for adding attachments here. If you send me your email address by private message, then I will gladly t pass them on to you

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy