Author Topic: Looking For Info On Brums Past Please Help  (Read 18659 times)

Steve

Re: Looking For Info On Brums Past Please Help
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Go here Kerry,

GOV.UK
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Kerry-ann89

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
Thanks Steve
I am aware of that site as I sent off for the death certificate.

I cant really send for a marriage or birth certificate as yet as I dont know when my grandparents were born or married.

I found one possible lead in bmd index for a marriage which I may send off for the certificate. Then I may be able to work out births etc

:) thankyou though! Still pretty much none the wiser unfortunately in my search  >:(

the response has been great cant express how grateful I am!

Steve

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Kerry, (Excuse me if you figured this one)Marriage year,  if you go by the birthdate of your parent or their oldest sibling, they would be wed that year if things were overdue, or in the preceding 2 years, sometimes another year or two if stillbirths occurred.

Kerry-ann89

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »
Im unaware of my grandparent's marriage date as I dont know if my father has any siblings as he was put into care age 6 when my grandmother dked and only told a certain amount about his circumstances at age 14

Hence why this is a struggle not knowing much apart from my grandparents names. My father doesnt even remember their faces or know why his father or other family members never took parental responsibility for him after his mother died

:-[

Steve

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »
Are you using Findmypast or Ancestry.co.uk, or other paid for FH sites?

Kerry-ann89

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »
Thanks Steve I am and thanks for your help.

does anyone know where I can find records or further info on omnibus driversmin Birmingham min the 40s and 50s as I'm interested in knowing more on my grandfather's occupation at the time.

My father ended up in Sunderton Road in the 50s, with houseparents after leaving Erdington Cottage homes.

are the homes still at Sunderton Road or have they been demolished, I believe they were council run and owned

thanks!

In the process of obtaining what I believe could be my grandparents marriage certificate as we speak  O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
Hi Kerry Anne

I'm sorry but I have no personal knowledge of the homes at Sunderton Rd in Kings Heath other than like most Birmingham Council owned Social Services Homes it is closed now. Take a look at this site here for a little further information.
http://www.search.connectinghistories.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?theme=321&originator=%2Fengine%2Ftheme%2Fdefault.asp&page=&records=&direction=&pointer=288&text=0&resource=1592

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Don Campbell

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
Hi,
I`m also looking for someone from Brum, her maiden name was Ann Bridgeman, I lost touch over 50 years ago so I don`t even know if she is still around. She was a brilliant guitarist and taught me to play, but I was never in her league, she played with the Ivy Benson girl band for a time then left to form her own girl group, after that I don`t know what happened to her, can anyone help ?

Don.

Steve

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
Hi,
I`m also looking for someone from Brum, her maiden name was Ann Bridgeman, I lost touch over 50 years ago so I don`t even know if she is still around. She was a brilliant guitarist and taught me to play, but I was never in her league, she played with the Ivy Benson girl band for a time then left to form her own girl group, after that I don`t know what happened to her, can anyone help ?

Don.
Hi Don, Wikipedia has Ivy's  potted history, and ITunes has all their recordings.

Steve

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
Try http://www.ivybensonon-line.co.uk where there is a question & answer section by email.
However don't use this link, type it in your browser. This worked, but testing link didn't.

Ted Warwick

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
I was surfing, looking for  pictures of the places I'd grown up in around Birmingham and saw a forum request for information about the Lord Byron Pub. My father managed the Lord Byron on Farm Street in the late 1930's. Lucas' plant was right behind us - I remember standing on the dustbin watching over the back wall right into the back of the plant. Also behind us was Ansells Brewery - our "enemies", since at that time the Byron  was a Mitchells and Butlers House! At that time I attended St Matthias' right across from the pub.We moved from there right up Hockley Hill to manage the Gothic on Corporation Street (was it?). This would have beenduring the early part of WW II. (I was evacuated to Hereford from there for a short time).We moved briefly to Handsworth when my father was drafted, but were forced to leave when a next door house got hit by a bomb, cracking the walls of our house and causing the council to condemn it. Much more, but off subject!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy