Author Topic: Looking For Info On Brums Past Please Help  (Read 18662 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Looking For Info On Brums Past Please Help
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »
Hi Ted

Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid I cant tell you much about either the Lord Byron or the Gothic except that the Gothic On the junction of Great Hampton Row  & Hampton St was a lot closer to The Lord Byron on Farm Street than either of them were to Corporation St.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ted Warwick

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 01:41:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply - obviously my "memory" of the location of the Gothic was off base. I have some excuse however - that was seventy years ago, and although I spent several of my early years in those two pubs, the street names were a little hazy. Thank you for the picture of the Gothic - I had one, but of a later vintage - boarded up and painted pink and white, (what's all that about?) The picture you sent was as I remembered it c. 1940's. I've lived in the USA for sixty years now, thirty in Texas and now in Wisconsin just north of Milwaukee, and we make a trip over to England fairly often in the Fall to see all of the things we never thought to look at while we were there!. I would like to tie down the exact dates we lived in the Lord Byron for my memoirs - do you know whether the licensee records are still available for those years, (1935 - 1941)? Thanks for the help, Ted

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
Ted

I think it's disgusting that whoever owns the Gothic now was allowed to deface a wonderful old building the way they did. It's just typical of Birmingham City Council who seem to have no time for the heritage of the City and they allow this sort of thing to go on all over whilst buildings that are owned by the Council are being left to deteriorate and fall down.

I'm afraid that I can't help you with the licensee records, but we have members like Mikejee and Astoness and others who have access to census information that might be able to help you, just sit tight and see what develops.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »
Only limited electoral rolls are available, so all I can say from these  is that in 1935 the occupiers were Vivian Bedford and wife, and in 1939 they were Frederick Albert Warwick and wife. This infoirmation would have been collected a few months before, and changes should have been notified and recorded. I'm not so sure that registration of any changes in the rolls necessarily always took place.
In The 1940 Kellys it lists Frederick Albert Bedford as at the Gothic and George Morrall at the Lord Byron. . This information would have been recorded probably from july 1939-early 1940, so Warwick probably left the lord Byron around November  1939+/- 6 months.
similarly Vivian Bedford is listed at the Lord Byron in 1936, but frederick Warwick in 1937, and so the changeover here would probably have been November 1935+/- 6 months.
Sorry I can't be of any more help

DavidWilliams

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »
hi Kerry I know of Romsley sanatorium one of my cousins was in there, its still there but is now appartments if you travel from Halesowen up the Bromsgrove road past the sun pub on your right continue up the hill past another pub on the left continue to Farley lane on your right turn into there and proceed down the hill and if I remember right its about 14 to 12 mile max on the right hand side it was a hospital for people with chest/asthma problems I think hpe that's  of help to you regards dave PS IF I CAN GET A PICTURE I WILL let me know if you need more help

Kerry-ann89

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
Hi dave

thanks for your input. Yes my grandmother according to her death certificate died at Romsley sanatorium from tuberculosis she was only 27

tryig to find our as much as possible about my grandparents as my father was put in care soon after my grandmother died. He was only 6 years old so im really at a loose end no pictures no documents nothing  :(

I would really appreciate a photo if u have one. Thanks again for your time   ::)

DavidWilliams

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 10:25:59 PM »
hi there if you can bear with me as soon as ive got time I will pop up there and then try to put it on for you please be patient with me I,m still a novice at this but I wont let you down, there are many people on the forum who will guide you in your quest regards dave

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
I was pretty sure that I had uploaded these photos before Kerry Anne when first you asked.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

DavidWilliams

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
thanks phil I will try to get a picyure of what it looks like now for kerry

DavidWilliams

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »
Kerry ive just noticed I put turn into Farley lane but it isn,t miles down that lane its a quarter mile maximum 

gladrags

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »
I lived in Lordswood Road and my son was born at lordswood Road maternity hospital in 1962 It was a lovely hospital and very popular, I remember Romsley sanatorium, whatever the weather there were beds outside as fresh air was thought very curative for TB sufferers.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy