Author Topic: Looking For Info On Brums Past Please Help  (Read 18657 times)

Ted Warwick

Re: Looking For Info On Brums Past Please Help
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 05:47:17 PM »
Thanks all for the info on the Gothic and the Lord Byron. On the picture of the (now defaced) Gothic, does the road to the right lead down to Farm Street, and is the Lord Byron still there? I attended St Matthias school and church when I lived at the Byron - is St Matthias' still there? I'm thinking that the road continued up the hill to Lozells - is that correct? I lived at 22 Putnam Rd in Handsworth before we were bombed out and moved across the City to Hall Green.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »
Ted

The road to the right is Great Hampton Row, yes if you travelled up it you would have crossed Farm Street, very little of what was on Farm St then exists today. It's the same again with Wheeler St and St Matthias School nothing is left.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ted Warwick

Your reply to my looking for St Matthias' Church etc
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »

Phil
I'm astounded!
Why I should be I don't know, because I've moved on these last nearly 80 years, and don't know why I expected to see my old neighborhood "as it was"!
I do remember there was NO grass and trees on Farm St - just row houses with alleys back to the outback toilets all in a row. I had a friend; Donald Towner, (had a sister Ruby) lived across from St Matthias' - anyway, I avoided going back there with my kids when we were in England - because I guess I didn't want them to see the dingy old place I once lived! Didn't need to have bothered to hide it did I?
Well, thanks again for all your help, it's scrapbook stuff now but my memories are still fixed in there somewhere!
Have a great day Phil,
Ted

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 04:25:22 PM »
Ted

I thought a walk down Farm Street on Google Earth might cause a sharp intake of breath, still never mind here's and old memory for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ted Warwick

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
Hi Phil
You hit the nail on the head! The picture brings back the memory in full detail. As a side note; I'm a fan of an English writer (sci-fi), Jasper Fforde. His character, Thursday Next, was explaining that "things" never go away, they're firmly stored as memories, and with a little concentration, can be brought back as they existed "back then". OK - kinda deep there, but Jasper had it right, as long as the memory exists, so does the actual scene!
So I guess the next question might be; where are all these pictures stored? On-line?
I'm a commissioner on the Village of Grafton's (Wisconsin) Historical Preservation Commission, and we're right now attempting to collect all the memorabilia, pictures, and personal recollections of early settlers of this area; and digitizing all of it for future generations as they explore their history. So looking at these pictures from so long ago gives me hope that we'll soon have made inroads into our task!
Thanks again Phil,
Ted

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »
Ted

There are various collections of historical photos of Birmingham, but most of these are covered by copyright. Some collections  will if approached will allow use of their photos as long as you abide by certain conditions, others will not and will make it quite plain. I'm afraid it's all a matter of seek and find and then approach the owners.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ted Warwick

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
Phil
We have the same thing over here. If it's of any interest, you might Google the "ResCarta" website. They have developed a free program to standardize digital inputs to various library historical collections, since many of us have run afoul of the copyright standards - used to be if an author had been deceased for fifty years it was fair game, but with the passing of the Federal "Mickey Mouse" law, extending copyright protection seemingly forever, we all need to know the new rules.
Anyway, thanks again for your help,
Ted

James-Paul Orr-Easdon

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »

I was in Littledean Erdington cottage homes in 1975-1976-ish, the buildings are still there but sold off and are now private homes. highcroft hospital is still there but has been privately built on as well, you can get to the cottage homes through Fentham Rd , littledean is the last 'double' building on the left hand side. I had a school friend in another home there, but forgot the house name.
Anyone that was there with me ,  M doyle, Leo Doyle, M Frazer, Ronny, Kenny, Patrick Noonan etc please message me, its been a long time , like to know what you done with yourselves

ted_warwick

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 02:43:38 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has any pics of St Mathias School and church on Farm Street? I lived in the Lord Byron on Farm street in 1936 then in the Gothic in 1939 - moved out to Handsworth, 22 Putney Road, ( got bombed out of there in 1940, moved over to 325 Shaftmoor Lane in Hall Green, lived there until 1945 - moved to Manchester. Any of this ring any bells with anyone?

Trish de Rosa

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2022, 04:35:46 PM »
Hallo, I was a patient at Romsley Hospital for 6 months in 1974 till 1975 and I am looking for any other patient, doctor or nurse  who may have been there at that time. Thanks for any help

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy