Author Topic: Duddeston Mill Road  (Read 4595 times)

zozo

Duddeston Mill Road
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
Hi new to the forum. I was born in Brum and my parents emigrated to South Africa when I was seven. ( 58 now!) I am back living in my home town and am just starting to put together my family history.
I have a memory of visiting my Fathers home and seeing my Nan, I fell off her very high bed and broke my collarbone. The address is 114 DuddestonMill Road. I think Vauxhall. Has anyone any idea if the road is still there? I have starting looking on the net and have learnt all about the railway station. What I am hoping to do is write my familys history with some photos included. I have mobility problems so need to find out if these places still exist before I undertake a journey there. Any help would be appreciated. My Fathers name is William ( Bill ) Meades. He was a toolmaker by trade. His mothers name was Annie and his Father, William. My dad married my Mom, Dorothy Colley and they had us four children, John, Billy, Ann and Robert. Many thanks, Ann

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Duddeston Mill Road
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »
hi zozo
welcome to the forum   im sure our phil will help you out with info and may be a few photos to boot  have fun make your self at home  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

zozo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
Thanks, pleased I have found this forum, am sure I will learn loads!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
Hi zozo

Welcome to you, if you look at the Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley thread you will see quite a few posts on Duddeston Mill Rd and quite a few photos as well. Here is one of the better ones and also a photo of Vauxhall & Duddeston Station.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:29 AM »
I am pretty sure no 114 was the building coloured red in the c 1952 map below

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »
Zozo

According to Mike's detective work number 114 would be the third house from the end of these houses on the left hand side of the street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tony armstrong

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
Thanks, pleased I have found this forum, am sure I will learn loads!

zozo dont know it would be of any interest to you but there is a local history group that meets in the community centre melvina rd meets every monday morning except bank holidays with people from  your area and also many photographs to look at its just down from duddeston mill rd also as parking area and centre is wheelchair friendly. O0

zozo

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has answered, I remembered from looking at the photos that we had to climb a steep hill. Do you think if I go there now I will be able to find the same house or have they been demolished? I am still going to have a look there anyway, thanks again. Ann

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
zozo

If you were to go there now you would see that virtually nothing has survived until today, save for the canal, railway and river Rea. This is a view from Google of roughly the same view of my last photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

zozo

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. It is very sad that it is all gone but that is progress I suppose. My Mom once told me that there is nothing left. Thanks for the photos I have printed them off and shall include them in my family history. I am going to go on the back to back tour in Birmingham. my Mom lived in one, I just love Birmingham and the people are so friendly. spent a few years living in London when I first came back and can honestly say, as much as I love London, the Brummies know how to make you feel at home! Thanks a lot, Ann

GardenGerald

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
Hello Ed
Duddeston Mill Road had a Water Mill run by the River Rea. End of Inkerman treet turn right down Duddeston Mill Road
and Water Mill was on Left side next to River Rae.
When you walked from Inkerman street to Gas Works in he River Rae you walked through Mill Site.
We have both done it,
Take care...Gerald.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy