Author Topic: Birmingham in film and TV  (Read 36342 times)

Joewoen

Re: Birmingham in film and TV
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »
I know nothing about the Lunar Society. You will have to enlighten me!

Snooks, I looked to see if this topic has been on the forum, but it hasn't. I'll start a thread on it when I'm on the 'proper ' computer. Unless someone else would like to kick it off ???

Snooks

« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
Thanks, Joewoen. :)
Onwards and upwards!

Joewoen

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2015, 05:08:32 PM »
Hollywood stars descended on Birmingham City Centre on Monday as film crews captured scenes for a new zombie thriller starring Bond girl Gemma Arterton.

Crews closed off part of Church Street, near Snow Hill Station, transforming the smart business area into a post-apocalyptic war zone for the 2016 movie “She Who Brings Gifts”.

Snooks

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
I didn't know this... I remember Privilege and Prostitute but not that one.
Onwards and upwards!

Joewoen

« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
She Who Brings Gifts also stars Paddy Considine and Glen Close. The film has mostly been shot in Birmingham but they have also used Cannock Chase and Dudley  (Living Museum? ). See Birmingham Mail online for plenty of details.

The city substitutes for London.

Yet again I wonder when they'll film in Birmingham and call it Birmingham.

Snooks

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »
I wish they'd film Elizabeth Revill's Birmingham books... they would be good.
Onwards and upwards!

Joewoen

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »
I wish they'd film Elizabeth Revill's Birmingham books... they would be good.

Take a trip to the Custard Factory, I believe there are some film production companies around there. Birmingham should be on the media. It is a very neglected area positively ignored by the BBC.

Snooks

« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2015, 04:06:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip - maybe I'll send them a letter or pop by when I am next in Brum.
Onwards and upwards!

Joewoen

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2015, 09:22:16 AM »
I mentioned on here a little while back that the BBC is not investing in Birmingham. This is in spite of this region being the largest area in the country providing licence fee money. Midlanders are getting a very poor deal. There is a petition on line to force the government to act on this outrageous situation.  Below is the latest round in these negotiations.

Change.org

25 Jun 2015 — [/font][/size]More than 20 MPs turned out to a parliamentary debate this Tuesday to discuss BBC spending in the Midlands. In response Culture Minister Ed Vaizey pledged to act to redress the balance and the BBC announced that spending in the Midlands would increase from £89 million to £125 million per year. [/font][/size]However this would still only account for 13% of licence fee raised in the region, nowhere near the 50% we're demanding. The pressure is working, but we need to keep it up. Please share, tweet, Facebook etc. this petition as we need all the signatures we can get.

[/size]
Please help.[/font][/size]

Joewoen

« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »
A bit late in posting, but knowing how often they repeat programmes on BBC4, it will be on again. 'Canals: The Making of a Nation'. A very good 6 part series, looking at the history of the canals. Obviously Birmingham and the Black Country feature heavily. The last programme dealing  with the future of the canals is mostly centered on Birmingham and how well they came out of the industrial age, re-invented themselves and the canal network. Great views of Birmingham and unusually for the BBC, complimentary comments about Birmingham.

>:(
BUT, as this was the BBC I do have an old gripe. The BBC basically dislikes Birmingham and rarely misses an opportunity to have a dig. Recently BBC news was at the opening of the refurbished New Street station. Sir Digby gave his usual positive outlook on the city. And then we get the predictable old put down.  I think  every BBC journalist is trained like this, Oh you are going to speak about Birmingham, then don't forget to include the old Telly Savalas film. This is the short film that Telly Savalas did the voiceover in 1980 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHVO1eSMFc. Everytime the BBC wish to laugh at Brum they show a clip from this film. As good as Canals: The Making of a Nation was, they just couldn't help themselves they had to include a clip from Savalas. Telly did the same time of film for Portsmouth and Aberdeen, but they have been given the dignity of resting in peace, just as they should be.  >:(

Gripe over. :)

iansdavies

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
there was a scene in boon where they tried to blow up rockys bike just outside lower stephenson street in brum there was a loud explosion and the roar of a bike , ive actually seen the episode it was called give credit where its due , rocky thought he was carrying explosives so they evacuated and stopped predestrians in the vacinity and got the bomb sqaud involved , apparently rocky was delivering bogus credit cards which flew in the air making a crowd of us go WHOOO ,at the same time micheal elphick jumped out of a car and stared at me ,my claim to fame .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy