Author Topic: Birmingham in film and TV  (Read 36337 times)

blane

Re: Birmingham in film and TV
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
There is currently a t.v. show ''By All Means''were all the outdoor shooting is done in Birmingham City centre,and the stills shot in London. O0 O0 O0

Joewoen

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
Wam, enjoyed your post, shows I have never heard of, must look them up.
Phil, what series are you referring to there?
Wam, you have reminded, Daziel & Pascoe, although the BBC  claimed it was Yorkshire, the city scenes, including Pascoe's trendy apartment was filmed in Birmingham city centre.
Blane, 'By All Means' always shows a scene of a canal, supposedly outside their HQ. Any idea which bit of city canal that is? Constitution Hill area is shown a lot and parts of Digbeth.

Could I remind you good people to sign the petition to reclaim media jobs back to Brum. The West Midlands provides the BBC with 25% of its income, but it only spends 2% of its income in this region. A lot of the skills from TV and radio is disappearing from this area. Here is the link to the petition,  http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/bbc-to-increase-network-tv-and-radio-production-by-the-bbc-in-the-midlands-2

The petition closes this Wednesday. Thanks for supporting this.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Joe

It was Wam that brought it up the series was Public eye a series that ran for quite a while in the mid 60's I think starring Alfred Burke. I thought it was quite good.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
Cathy Come Home was filmed in Hingeston Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RYVjlP0dM

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

charliewag

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »
They  filmed  up the Lickey's  for a week in the summer for the program By Any Means 8)
Charliewag
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

maggie

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 03:04:27 AM »
I remember Lunch Box very well, a group of us young neighbours all went there one day to see the show ,  the show looked good on screenbut was very tatty.Dont know if I,m mixed up cos its over 50 years ago but I see to remember Noele Gordon as
one of the "entertainers", in the audience we each
got given a fluted edged paper plate with a sandwich and a do-nut, that would be round 1957/8 I think.This was down by the Clock near HP Sauce........

do unto others as you would be done by

planetmalc

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
'By All Means' always shows a scene of a canal, supposedly outside their HQ. Any idea which bit of city canal that is?

It's Livery Street, Joe, and I think I may have been in the room that they used for their HQ, back when Snow Hill Station was closed.    At that time, it was possible to get into the underground complex that existed beneath the station platforms & trackbed  -  normally off-limits to Joe Public  -  via an entrance in Water Street that had been boarded up but inevitably broken down by the adventurous.    There were several rooms in there and at least one contained a stout wood & glass office that looks (from memory) to be identical to the one that can be seen at the rear of the team's HQ.    In the series, they appear to enter this room via an archway on the canal towpath, but I don't recall the rooms I explored giving access to the cut (though they may have).     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »
I watched the Birmingham Half Marathon on Channel 5 this morning and tuned in too late to see the route map for the race.     Brum's changed so much that I didn't know where I was half the time! :D
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
What about the Children's series "Brum" that was about a motor car, and then there was a film with the actors from Boon about a Vampire motor bike. Then there was a musical film they made a couple of years back in Kings Heath.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joewoen

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 05:23:18 PM »
cross roads the soap a lot of shots was done in birmingham

Crossroads came in for a lot of stick and still does from comedians. They laughed at the accents, particularly the cleaning lady. They also suggested it was amateurish in production, especially the wobbly sets. I have been watching Roger Moore in old episodes of the Saint recently. This was a top notch show in its day, exported around the world, guess what, the sets kept moving in that too.

For what it was, Crossroads was a good little production, not many shows can have 5 episodes a week. It was not unusual to see members of the cast shopping in town.

Joewoen

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »

It's Livery Street, Joe, and I think I may have been in the room that they used for their HQ, back when Snow Hill Station was closed.    At that time, it was possible to get into the underground complex that existed beneath the station platforms & trackbed  -  normally off-limits to Joe Public  -  via an entrance in Water Street that had been boarded up but inevitably broken down by the adventurous.    There were several rooms in there and at least one contained a stout wood & glass office that looks (from memory) to be identical to the one that can be seen at the rear of the team's HQ.    In the series, they appear to enter this room via an archway on the canal towpath, but I don't recall the rooms I explored giving access to the cut (though they may have).   

Fascinating, cheers for that malc.

I am surprised the HQ is an actual place, as they often make these things up in the studio don't they. Like the apartment in Hustle overlooking London, but in reality it was filmed in a warehouse in Saltley.   ;D

I really do wish they would re-open the mothballed Central studios at the back of the Holiday Inn there. I understand with a bit of TLC it could be brought back in to use.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy