Author Topic: Birmingham is a national disgrace  (Read 50055 times)

SENSIBLE

Re: Birmingham is a national disgrace
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »

I used to love Birmingham - my birthplace.

Not any more! 
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

lutleyyeltz

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »
the disgraceful council has changed the nationality of those areas    >:(    :o   and don't forget the council are the ones in charge of these things    >:(

....and who votes the council in? ::) [size=78%] [/size]
You get the council you deserve!

Bannion

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »
The suburb of Yardley Wood, where I lived as a lad has gone to the pits for squalor and lack of respect that people have for their surroundings.

Not been in the City centre for many years now but the photos I have seen impress me and I applaud a lot of what the council(s) have done over the intervening years.

Would I return?   For all I have a sentimental view of the city of my youth, I would never return, for my local  area now is more ideal for me  these days.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »
Bannion

I think that compared to the inner city areas of Birmingham Yardley Wood and it's surroundings have fared quite well.  It's hardly been affected by the desire of Birmingham Council to rip everything down and change it beyond recognition. The only exception to this being the nearby Maypole, for a gateway to our city what a mess they have made of it, in my opinion it looks like something knocked up by a 10 year old with some cardboard boxes and Formica.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
Phil.
The only experience I have is the rare visits that I make to my old stamping ground.  Yardley Wood in my view has changed little, in building line, except for the vandalism of those who live or frequent there.  There seems that the society that now live in that area have little respect to the place.  Gardens that were once well kept are now overgrown, garden fencing and hedging, broken and overgrown.

My parents and those of their ilk had pride in where they had moved from the inner city in the late thirties and their gardens, a change from the back to backs of the former, were to be prided in and kept to the best of their respective abilities.   That has now gone with the modern dweller.   I admit there is the rare oasis in this desert and every accolade to them for their endeavours.   What has happened to the pride that once was?  I pose the question but not the answer for it is beyond me how people can collectively live in such a way.

Of the city centre I have only seen the photographs but I believe that sentiment of the old has always been overtaken by the needs of a modern society and what I see, in the photos, I like.

I have driven past the Maypole and can see your point but the small shops of old cannot compete with the larger store of the likes of Sainsburys  and sizeable buildings are what the planners, for the benefit of the company and customers, want these days.   I have always wondered, however, why they located the Travelodge, as a focal point that it now occupies..     

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
Bannion

I'm afraid that tenants today only see gardens especially those at the front of a property as somewhere to park their car. Though I'm one to talk as I slabbed over all our lawns as I'm not one for gardening. Though the wife has got her garden in pots and troughs so she is happy enough and I happily junked the mower.

Also I have to admit I am that enamoured of the city centre (bull ring) I have yet to visit it and it must be more than 10 years old now. The rare few times I have been to the city centre in that time I have skirted around it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
Phil,.
The front of my home has a short lawn - on the councils side  - and the remainder is of York Crazy paving with pots for plants strategically placed and bolted down for my lady to grow her plants.  She also parks her car there.   Leastwise it is all tidy and presentable unlike many I have seen in Yardley Wood.
We own it privately and that is where there is a difference unlike the majority of the YW occupants.

tomjotomjo

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
planetmalc
it does not matter where you live or in what town or city  each has two faces the one you see on a trip and the one you see when you live there
there are lots of thing wrong in brum there is no getting away  from that but brum has a place is much the same has other city's or towns
but what is wrong is the care of its folk we read in the paper young kids being killed by perants  the s/s failing to protect the kids
you might ask why is nothing being done if you look at over the last few years heads of department have got the sack or moved on for getting things wrong or doing nothing   but like most thing you get the wonnabs just sitting there waiting for things to go wrong so that they can fill there shoes get that top job so now you have it each is looking at each and each pointing the finger so nothing gets done they fear doing things or they can not pass it down the line in case it goes wrong
so what it boils down to is there job is more important than the folk they serve

tomjotomjo

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
we on about birmingham :o

onegr8day

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
I was born in the 2nd city of Scotland and was exported to the 2nd City of England where my mother and her 2 sisters and 1 brother lived at 4 years old. My aunts were in the Odeon New Street with their boyfriends watching different films the night of the Birmingham Pub Bombings, the panic and hysteria has echoed through the next generation of Brummie's who live with a city that had our security ripped away from us in one night, even going out in the 80's and 90's my mother still used to warn me not to go up that town for fear of me not coming home? Birmingham BIG CITY - BAD CITY? no -v London or Manchester or Glasgow? Big citys all have problems, our councils create the ghettos not the people, the people try and live in harmony, and I travel the UK on a weekly basis, I see many citys and towns, Birmingham people have a warmth and directness to them. I grew up in a warm scottish irish and brummie family, my uncle Jimmy Walpole played in a band called Lazy day in the 60's my mom went to st vincents RC in saltley and the family lived in Cato street till they knocked it down for industrial units in the 70's! My uncle who had charlie grimmer as his drummer and knew ozzie ozborne from local aston jam's had a great career in music in Birmingham and 20 years on, I have also enjoyed listening to some fine live music around the jewellery quarter, black country, sutton coldfield,Solihull, the yardbird in the City centre is one of the hearts of  Birmingham? Perhaps you dont know Birmingham so well? I know the north side of Birmingham well, and I have to say I dont feel like the youth are ruining it for the old people! I have a 22 year old son who has grown up in sutton coldfield, my aim was to teach him how to be a nice person, mission accomplished, I did this in a Birmingham Nursery,A Birmingham Primary school, A Birmingham College and then he secured a job - in Birmingham! I gave the right message at home, not everyone does, this isnt a Birmingham problem, its a problem with the way we connect with the youth of today maybe? They are misunderstood, and not just in BIRMINGHAM. We live in the 2nd city - one that is ALWAYS over looked for financial support over Manchester/Leeds/London, we dont have the huge football investment money that manchester do, although we do finally get our new train station - And doesnt she look lovely all shiny like the darlek spots on the selfridges building! Love it bring it on Birmingham its time to grow, there will always be channel 4 documentarys about a whole street of dole scrowngers and a day in the life - its great (its middle class lets go watch the elephants in the zoo stuff really) I feel sorry for those who cant help themself - Birmingham is a great city for opportunitys and I dont believe the bad press - its no worse than any other city with a poulation of 1,085,400 ! We have intigration immigration issues with gangs,drugs,same as any other city, what we need is more jobs, more money - our football teams to win so huge investors want to think of us as the 2nd city that we are, where are all the cranes on the Birmingham skyline? Where are all the Birmingham Skyscrappers? (Well done to BAM who are building a big one for us right opposite st martins and selfridges - The Beorma Quarter - Beorma (saxon king who gave Birmingham its name!) Brummies are the HEART of this city - go and find some real ones - who work hard, play hard and love life instead of the scum that all citys have in the uk - if you dont love Birmingham its because you havent visited the right places, we had over 3 million visitors to the German market this year, and its such a well organised event, there was ice skating outside the new library, the ICC is about to get a new face lift and our lovely wheel all lit up for christmas was as pretty as a picture. Go for a walk down the canal to the Cube and have something tasty at Marco Pierre white or Rodizio Rico or just go shopping in Bull ring and have a burger king or better still "Urban Pie" or wagamma or Jamie oliver's place - Birmingham has some great places, upmarket curry go to Akbars (i liked it better as Libertys lol but great curry great service) or if you want just a good curry then I know a great place in moseley - I mean Moseley, what a great little villiage for some real brummies - love that night out too, and live music - well Ocean colour...need I say more?THANKS!! Up the Brummies x

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
hi  onegr8day
                    welcome to our forum   that was a good post by the way but I think brum is not the 2nd city its the first she is not perfect by any standard but her folk have still got heart    to make thing better some one said   give us the tools we will do the job and that still holds true today

so enjoy the forum hope you find it of interest roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy