Author Topic: Joseph Lucas Group Research Centre  (Read 2528 times)

llessib

Joseph Lucas Group Research Centre
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
I appreciate that this might be an over the border issue but as many brummies worked for Joseph Lucas then I wonder if you might help - I'm hoping to discover exactly when the Joseph Lucas Group Research Centre in Shirley was actually occupied/officially opened.  I'm aware that plans were made in 1962 to move the group research function from Marston Green and to build the research centre in Shirley, where it stands today on the Stratford Road.  I believe that the official opening was in 1965 but it has been suggested that the building was occupied in 1964.

Can anybody confirm these dates or do you have any information about the building and its people from those times ?

Thanks

Martin

KannyKen

Re: Joseph Lucas Group Research Centre
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
My wife worked at Marston Green and moved to the new GRC in Shiirley when it opened in 1965. I met her when I started at GRC in December 1966 which was 18 months after it opened. My wife left  in late 1967 and me a year later when I moved away and after we married my wife and I lived in Oxfordshire.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
As many know I worked for Lucas for many so I interested in any snippet about the old company.
The area which GRC occupied was also shared with a newish building which was used for a time as HQ for Lucas Aerospace on the same campus housed the Lucas Computer Centre
The GRC building was taken over by TRW when it bought out various parts of Lucas including Lucas Aero at Shaftmoor Lane this would be around 23/24 years ago.
 About 5 or 6 years ago a German company ZF Friedrichafen in turn took over TRW and to this day their Logo is still above the main Entrance of the old GRC Building.
The old Lucas HQ building has been demolished and the building of a block of flats is well under way. The old GRC building looks to be Unoccupied.
About where the old Lucas Computer Centre stood this is now The Village Hotel there is also a block of Retirement flats adjacent.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

vamann

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:22:23 AM »
We used to take the Lucas staff to Honiley, I seem to remember that was also Aerospace.

Spud

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:07:14 AM »
Yes I remember Honiley it sort of a testing area Lucas Used to try Pumps and Control Systems. I seem to remember a story about Honiley. Lucas had a Rolls Royce Aero Engine Installed there the story goes more often than not when it was started up it often set fire to adjoining trees.
Girling Brakes also had a test track on the same site
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

KannyKen

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 10:59:14 AM »
My older brother did his naional service in the RAF and was based at RAF Honiley for a while. It was used by the Royal Naval Reserve who flew vampires. While he was there it closed down in 1958 and with his vast experience of closing an airfield they sent him next to RAF Dyce while it closed down to become Aberdeen Airport.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy