Author Topic: Grandfather Clock with name "Ashforth" on it  (Read 2005 times)

sh

Grandfather Clock with name "Ashforth" on it
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »
My relatives from the 1700-1885-sh were Ashforths who resided in Birmingham; they were silversmiths. 

I'm told of my great grandfather taking my grandfather (this is mid-1800s) to a grandfather clock (probably one that stood tall) that had the name, "Ashforth" on it.  My great grandfather told my grandfather to never change his name.  (Many who were Ashforths chanced their names to Ashford, Ashworth, etc.)

In  the 1880s they lived 139 Gerrard St.  Is that near Victoria Square?

If not, then they also lived near Victoria Square.

Severn street is one of the street's my mother mentioned (she was an Ashforth).

Does such a clock still exist?

Please advise, and thanks, sh

LL47

Re: Grandfather Clock with name "Ashforth" on it
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »
We do one called the "Ashley". I'm interested to know why many Ashforths changed their names...

sh

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
My mother wrote about the time when there was a religious uprising in England, when then  the poor were against the rich because they had nothing to eat, nothing to speak of, and lived in poverty; complete poverty.

The Ashforths were a wealthy people and so they began to change their names to various types that were anything but, "Ashforth".  That's why the various spellings including, "Ahysworth".  This was supposed to be early on, like the 13th century to 17th - long, long ago.

I have every reason to believe it to be true, but it changes nothing for me; it mattered a lot to Charles, who was my gt, gt, grandfather, and who was born around 1820.

sh

LL47

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »
Did your mother write a book? Sounds like it might be an interesting read, if it was published let us know!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »
Hi LL47,

Welcome to the forum, sneaking in by the back door like that I nearly missed you. Nick up to the Birmingham Chat board and say hello in the Welcome to Birmingham Forum thread, and everybody will know you are here.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sh

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »
Hi, LL47 -

I started to answer this and my computer had other ideas; so let me try another way.

No, my mother wrote things down for me at my daughter's request; I sent on her request to the person she named.  Actually, Karen's attending was British as was my Mother's Mother (Wigan) who sailed to the USA in 1881.

She met and married an Ashforth (Aston juxta Birmingham) who sailed to the USA around 1885.  Her sister introduced them over a dinner; apparantly, the sister's husband also worked at the silversmith's firm in Cincinnati.  They eventually married.  My grandfather was a master silversmith, also.

My mother asked her mother a lot of questions which she remembered; I wish now that I'd listened more, and asked my Mother more questions.  I hope this helps you. - sh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy