Author Topic: Birmingham Firsts  (Read 17142 times)

wetdog

Re: Birmingham Firsts
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 07:16:21 AM »
"Fredrick Lanchester and his brother built the first petrol car in Birmingham in 1896," ?.................. this is what you said and  no he did not , unless you are only saying it was the first in Birmingham

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »
wetdog,

What I said was,  "Frederick Lanchester is universally recognised as the father of the modern day car" which is what I have been saying all along. The lines you have credited me with were in fact written by Joewoen.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wetdog

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »
o right , so you say "Frederick Lanchester is universally recognised as the father of the modern day car" where have you got this from ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
Wetdog

Why do I have to have gotten this phrase from anywhere, to be quite honest I must have to quote it. Perhaps it was while I was at school before the invention of Google and Wikipedia. Sometimes people quote things from memory. Anyway you just have to look at the facts, who was the first person to come up with a car that is most like the cars of today?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wetdog

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
thats easy , universally recognised as the father of the modern day car Carl Benz 1885 fact

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »
The Benz Patent Motorwagen 1885, hardly the pattern for the motor car today. As I have said I agree that Lanchester didn't invent the first motor car. So can we leave it at that and get this thread back on line, or if you wish to continue with this discussion then start another thread.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joewoen

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
Good idea Phil.  :)

A quote from Wikipedia. Even if it is not 100% accurate, the Birmingham area is obviously a tour de force.
By the year 2000, of the 4,000 inventions copyrighted in the UK, 2,800 came from within a 35-mile radius of Birmingham. Peter Colegate of the Patent Office stated that "Every year, Birmingham amazes us by coming up with thousands of inventions. It is impossible to explain but people in the area seem to have a remarkable ability to come up with, and have the dedication to produce, ideas."[2]

Here are saome more firsts;

After electricity was discovered no one could find a use for it! Two Birmingham brothers found a use for it that changed Birmingham and the world, they patented electroplating. Their names were Elkington.

Brylcreem was invented in Birmingham in 1929 by County Chemicals who also manufactured the abrasive cleaner, 'Chemico'. County Chemicals are still in business in Shirley.

Birmingham manufacturer Henry Clay patented the making of papier mache which was originally cloth and glue. Many durable objects such as furniture were made from papier mache.

Birmingham company, Horsfall & Batchelor, made the first transatlantic telephone cable in 1865. While it was being laid the end was lost, so they made another one in 1866!

In Birmingham in 1849 the first building to be put up solely for the exhibition of manufactured goods was built for an exhibition of the British Society. It had a 10,000 square feet area, and together with Bingley House, in the gardens of which it was erected, 12,800 square feet of exhibition space was available.

Cotton wool was invented in Birmingham.

Sir Edmund Crane, the co- founder and managing director of Hercules Cycles, is said to have pioneered the British export trade
 Has that set the cat amongst the pigeons?  :-[

wetdog

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
when I was at school my mate carl said his mom invented cotton wool , but she was from west india , but every one in my class said it was true so it must be fact  :P

wetdog

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »
" Henry Clay patented the making of papier mache "..................... another Birmingham chancer we see (and nothing to be proud of )   the key word is patent , as the origins date back BC and to china (who did invent paper) they did not use cloth

mikejee

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 11:44:32 PM »
I  would have though God invented cotton wool, as it occurs on the cotton plant in that form, though more dirty, full of seeds and rubbish and not as white. All that is done to make the commercial product is clean it up.

trapio

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »
In 1828, Sir Josiah Mason produced the first cheap slip-in nib, also suitable for fountain pens - he started a pen-making revolution, inventing a new nib machine 2 years later which led to other brummies devising further ways of of making, robust, cheap steel nibs.

Still more techniques were invented until thousands were employed in brum's pen factories - by the 1850s over half the pens made in the world were made in brum - pens were so cheap that millions more people could afford to learn to write, thus brum was at the forefront of the development of education and literacy.

Mason was entirely self-educated so it was no surprise that he founded Mason Science College in 1875 - it was the nucleus of what became the university in 1900.
Integrity is non negotiable

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy