Author Topic: Birmingham Firsts  (Read 17197 times)

wetdog

Re: Birmingham Firsts
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »
" though God invented cotton wool" ...... exactly well said ........now im off to patent the acorn

Joewoen

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
" though God invented cotton wool" ...... exactly well said ........now im off to patent the acorn

;D ;D
Obviously the list I have produced contains condensed information, such as the X-ray and the cotton wool. Take a bit of trouble and you can see how these are Birmingham firsts.

Cotton wool - Dr Joseph Sampson Gamgee, MRCS, FRSE was a surgeon at the Queen's Hospital (later the General Hospital) in Birmingham, England. He pioneered aseptic surgery (having once shared lodgings with Joseph Lister), and, in 1880 invented Gamgee Tissue, an absorbent cotton wool and gauze surgical dressing.

There is a Blue Plaque on the hospital.

I find it amazing how many everyday things we have were invented in Brum. We should be proud of these pioneers.

trapio

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »

wetdog, sorry, you're a bit late, a German saw one  down by the beachl and chucked his towel on it...then his bright idea grew into a mighty oak...that was quite a while back - the trees' still fine today, but he was sunk off the same beach back in 1914 in U-15 wen it was rammed by HMS Birmingham
This was  he first recorded sinking of a U-Boat by ramming O0
Integrity is non negotiable

wetdog

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 08:28:08 PM »
this might be where he got the idea in 1870 http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM187408270910901

mikejee

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »
From wikepedia:
"Gamgee Tissue has a thick layer of absorbent [/size]cotton wool[/font][/size] between two layers of absorbent gauze. It represents the first use of cotton wool in a medical context, and was a major advancement in the prevention of infection of surgical wounds. It is still the basis for many modern surgical dressings. The name is a [/size]trademark[/font][/size] of Robinson Healthcare Ltd, based in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK and has been since 1911."[/size]

[/size]
So he invented the idea of putting a layer of cotton wool between two layers of gauze, NOT cotton wool[/size]

Joewoen

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
So he invented the idea of putting a layer of cotton wool between two layers of gauze, NOT cotton wool

Looking up about cotton wool I came across what looks like the original source of the list I have used. It is from Birmingham Council   ::) . By presenting little factoids, they have somewhat skewed the facts in places. http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=WT-General%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092626223&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper

wetdog

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »
heres a first which they can lay claim "birmingham city council run by idiots"  for now

Joewoen

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »
heres a first which they can lay claim "birmingham city council run by idiots"  for now
:D :-[

I can not believe I printed without checking especially as I left Birmingham due to the incompetence of its council managers.

Let's try another list of Firsts;

Baking powder and eggless custard powder were invented in Birmingham by Alfred Bird.

The first manufacturer of the Robertson's Jam Golly badge was R.E.V. Gomm, who are still making badges in Birmingham today.

Birmingham toolmaker Joseph Hudson invented the football referees whistles which was first used in a game held at Nottingham Forest in 1878. Hudson also made the first Policeman's whistle. .Hudson's also produced all the whistles used on the Titanic's lifeboats, some of which have been recovered from the wreck site. One of those whistles was used by Kate Winslett in the film Titanic. It is estimated that around a 1000 million whistles have been made in the Jewellery Quarter since 1870. Hudsons are still in business making whistles today in the Jewellery Quarter.

Birmingham was the first UK city to have a motorway route into its centre. (A38M)

James Webster patented Aluminum in 1881 and opened the first aluminum factory in Solihull Lodge in 1887.

The first performances of both Elgar's Dream of Gerontius and Walton's Belshazzar's Feast were held in the Birmingham Town Hall.

Samson Lloyd in partnership with John Taylor a button maker, opened one of the first banks in Birmingham in 1765, it was known as Lloyds Bank.

The first metal airoplane in the world was produced at Accles and Pollock, Oldbury.

The famous ODEON chain of cinemas was first opened in Birmingham in 1930 by Oscar Deutsch, the son of a Birmingham metal dealer. Deutsch lived in Augustus Road, Edgbaston.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
Joe

I'll tell you the ones that I've always believed to be correct.

Eggless custard powder was invented by Alfred Bird (his wife was allergic to eggs)
Don't know about the jam
Hudsons whistles all I know is the whistles used on the Titanic were made in Birmingham
The fact about the A38M is correct
Don't know about Aluminium
The musical facts are correct about the Town Hall
The Statement about Lloyd's Bank is correct it was on High St but you and I wouldn't recognise it as a bank today.
don't know about the aeroplane
Oscar Deutsch opened the first Odeon in Birmingham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
Apparently ( http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=THD18830324.2.17&l=mi&e=-------10--1----0-- & http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Popular_Science_Monthly_Volume_27.djvu/558 . Webster devised a new shorter and cheaper process for purifying the raw material to make Alumina, from which aluminium could then be prepared, so his was a part of the aluminium production process

trapio

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 03:48:54 AM »
First retail / commercial bank in UK opened in 1695.....in Edinburgh
Integrity is non negotiable

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy