Author Topic: Birmingham Firsts  (Read 17198 times)

Joewoen

Re: Birmingham Firsts
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
 I thought it was time for some more Birmingham firsts.

1759: A patent is granted to Thomas Blockley, for rolling iron into different forms and making metal wheel tyres.

James Watt coined the term horsepower in 1762

In 1779 Matthew Wasbrough designed and built the Pickard Engine (first crank engine) for James Pickard of Snow Hill, this is defined as 'the first atmospheric engine in the world to directly achieve rotary motion by the use of a crank and flywheel.'

Also in 1779, James Watt invents the first photocopier.

1784: James Watt, refers to a two-speed transmission in patent No.1432, which relates to steam carriages: The concept of changing speed (or a variable velocity) in gearing which could arguably be the seed of thought for all subsequent gearing systems.

In 1785 James Watt and William Murdoch invented the oscillating cylinder and double action engine. Around this time James Watt created a governor and throttle valve for automatically regulating the supply of steam to an engine although no patents for this are taken out by Watt.

In the same year, William Withering published  An Account of the Foxglove and some of its Medical Uses, pioneering its use as a cardiac drug, Digitalis.

1788: Boulton and Watt built the rotative steam engine also known as a piston engine, an improved steam engine whose smooth reciprocating action enabled it to drive a variety of rotary machinery.

1799: The first Bellcrank engine is patented by William Murdoch while working for Boulton and Watt. It is the first compact, self-contained engine.

And to complete the 18th century, A gentleman of the name of Hand in Birmingham, obtains a patent for preparing flexible leather having a glaze and polish that renders it impervious to water and need only be wiped with a sponge to restore it to its original luster. This is later recognised as patent leather.

normansil

Re: Birmingham Firsts
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
The last item on this list caught my in that I believe the manufacture of boots and shoes was one of the main industries in Birmingham in the 19th century and even into the start of the 20th century. I wonder if the development of patent leather had an influence on this industry being in Brum.
Beorma - founder of Birmingham

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy