Author Topic: What is your fav place in Birmingham???  (Read 28199 times)

DavidWilliams

Re: What is your fav place in Birmingham???
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
ive no doubt I would have theres not really anywhere I can say I did not like each place had its own characture [scuse the spelling] whether it was picturest or industrial  :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2014, 10:24:54 PM »
brum is always in my heart I love the place and iv had the best of brum but it was time to go for slower way of life I can not think of any part of brum that I dislike   but like most things it is changing fast the old brum that I know has gone but forword and things must change  the parks the lickys all good
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

trapio

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »

After 55 years away, I'll see for myself what's ''become of brum'' next month - will hopefully visit Moseley Rd - such a pity that St Paul's Church has gone.
Integrity is non negotiable

Stravinsky

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
After 55 years away, I'll see for myself what's ''become of brum'' next month - will hopefully visit Moseley Rd - such a pity that St Paul's Church has gone.

Thats going to very VERY interesting .... and maybe even shocking for you.  I came to Birmingham in 1972 when the bull ring was the bull ring of the 60's, Digbeth flyover was still there and broad street was actually a street, not a big pub.  It's changed so much in forty years or so!

Joewoen

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2014, 05:50:38 PM »

Thats going to very VERY interesting .... and maybe even shocking for you.  I came to Birmingham in 1972 when the bull ring was the bull ring of the 60's, Digbeth flyover was still there and broad street was actually a street, not a big pub.  It's changed so much in forty years or so!

Quite agree Stravinsky. The thing with Birmingham is, probably unlike any other UK city, is it changes at a fantastic pace. I would advise you do a bit of web searching to avoid too many shocks trapio.

trapio

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
Joe,

I already know that much has changed in 55 years - I recall seeing Ladypool Rd at the time of the tornadoes, 9 years ago...and there is of course google earth...this forum, and friends O0

I doubt I'll be shocked as I've seen far greater i.e. more radical change, in much shorter periods in other places esp in Africa and Asia, such as some countries' population almost doubling in less than 30 years, a brand new capital in the centre of a big country whereas original was also largest port etc  I've been to countries that no longer exist, like East Germany, Soviet Union and Sikkim, and am aware that change has been great, or just 'normal natural progression'.

And now, back on thread  please
Integrity is non negotiable

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
trapio

I'm sure that when you do come to brum you will see for your self just how different things are in 55 years of being away you will be better at pointing things out more that the folk that live in the city and have never left but saying that you will find a lot of things that you remember are still there

its like having a friend for a long time then not seeing them for years then you meet up. the friend is still the same but the look is different

but one thing is for sure change has been good for brum not all but a lot of it

ladypool road is much the same just different folk go and have a look at the park and Dennis road and go and have a look at belgrave road or Highgate park

but most of all go with an open mind and take that childhood trip down memory lane

if I had to come back to brum to live  I would go for rednal by the lickys not much change there its still a good open space
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tony armstrong

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
Joe,

I already know that much has changed in 55 years - I recall seeing Ladypool Rd at the time of the tornadoes, 9 years ago...and there is of course google earth...this forum, and friends O0

I doubt I'll be shocked as I've seen far greater i.e. more radical change, in much shorter periods in other places esp in Africa and Asia, such as some countries' population almost doubling in less than 30 years, a brand new capital in the centre of a big country whereas original was also largest port etc  I've been to countries that no longer exist, like East Germany, Soviet Union and Sikkim, and am aware that change has been great, or just 'normal natural progression'.

And now, back on thread  please
     trapio one thing you will find in the town centre is pound shops where there used to be proper shops. :(

townie

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
The science museum down Newhall street used to be a nice place to visit but I am going back about 45 - 50 years
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

DavidWilliams

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
I don't think the museum is still there but I,m not sure where its moved to

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
Birmingham Science Museum the place we all spent a lot of our time at for free when we were young is no longer there. They built the Think Tank at Millennium Point on Curzon Street to replace it. You can go along anytime you like, it will only cost about £12 if you are an adult on about £8 if you are between 3 and 15, yes you are an adult at 15 now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy