Author Topic: What is your fav place in Birmingham???  (Read 28201 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: What is your fav place in Birmingham???
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »
graham will you stop picking on me i know I'm old and a grumpy old so and so but at least i do not have to go to Fred for his share of [censored] because  you need more than four pills to make it work   and i did not get the job of farther Xmas telling kids to shut there face did not go down to well
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 05:38:01 PM »
I remember the first ever Tulip Festival at Cannon Hill Park. I remember spending a very pleasant evening there with a young girl called Cathy who lived in Sherbourne Rd, Balsall Heath. We went on every ride in the fair, some of the side shows, we had a coke and a sandwitch at the ox roast and I bought her a bunch of tulips from a flower seller.

All this and I think the total of what I spent came to a little over a pound, my how times have changed.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »
phil my wife and i worked the first tulip festival for the 3 days from 9am till 12pm and after the 3 days we was dead on our feet  we made a months wage in them three days we did not put an extra charge on our stuff its just that we sold so much we never had time to look round that was a long time ago phill my stand was by the hump bridge and the fair next to the small pond at the backend of the park by the in and out gate

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 06:19:01 PM »
Roy,

What was you selling, it must have been like having a licence to print money at that time, when it first started the Tulip Festival was great. All us local kids were down there every night it was up Russell and over the fence we couldn't afford two bob every night.

We saw Marianne Faithfull and the Merseybeats one night, the Merseybeats were OK, but Marianne Faithfull was crap. I suppose she had got a mars bar in her mouth or something.

Another time a couple of years later me and a mate spent all day in the beer tent, got as drunk as Lords and then went on everything in the fairground, and we weren't sick. today I can't even look at the waltzers without feeling dizzy.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »
i was an agents for walls selling there products each day my wife and i made about £40 each but in those days fhil we used to do all the shows around the country from the lord mars show in London to motor bike and car racing  the royal show and the three county's show

Graham

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 09:05:10 PM »
I saw my first 'Live Show' at the age of 11 in the bushes at Cannon Hill Park, saved me the expense of flying to Amsterdam. I never did thank that couple for that big saving in my pocket money  ;D

Otherwise had some great times there canoing, rowing and fishing. Also used to lie for hours on my tummy in the snow, watching the Swans on the lake.

Roy, I'm only jealous of your age and your ability to work the net, I only hope that I live as long and stay as good as you are!  O0

Bannion

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »
As a young bloke I loved to walk around in a Sunday afternoon all the backstreets in Digbeth and the Jewellery Quarter.  It was so quiet and peaceful and one hardly met anyone.  During the week the places were teeming but on a Sunday one had the place to oneself.

If I came back I doubt if I would be able to find my way to either, with all the alterations to roads and rebuilding that has gone on since I left some, closing on, fifty years back.

Jacqueline

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 04:14:20 PM »
Fearn,
   This lot are all going off on one. ;D

A couple of other idea's. Bournville and Cadbury world. Bournville is a pretty sleepy suburb but you have to tip toe through there so as not to wake them up. ;D

Also Sarheole Mill of tolken fame.

If you want fun, fun, fun it has to be the night clubs of broad street....or so i am told by my kids.

O'h and yes they guys on here are nearer to pension than puberty.....oops sorry. ;D

frederick

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 04:15:22 PM »
cannon hill park was a regular fishing trip and going on the rowing boats, graham you did a cycling thing there didn't you, i bet roy was there at the same time we probably bought an ice cream of him.    :P
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

frederick

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 04:21:18 PM »
jacky,

you are as young as the women you feel and my partener is a youngster a lot younger than me.     O0    8)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Jacqueline

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 04:43:16 PM »
So how old is she Fred. Can she beat me born 55....you do the maths. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy