Author Topic: Moving to Birmingham  (Read 3521 times)

YessicaB

Moving to Birmingham
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:25:47 PM »
Hi Everybody...

I will be moving to Birmingham the end of June and since I've never been there (or anywhere else in England for that matter - I'm German) I wanted to see if you guys have some advice... or maybe even wanted to get together once I'm in Birmingham, since I don't know anybody over there so far. I am a 21 year old female, I spend two years in the US, so I am fluent in both English and German.

I am getting there June 26th and wanted to stay in a hostel/ hotel at first. Can anybody recommend something inexpensive that is near public transportation so I can get around?
Also, any job ideas? Like I said I am billingual, I do also know some French. I completed the equivalent of my A-levels in Germany. I am friendly, polite and outgoing.

Once I get there I will be room hunting... (I allready checked out several sites online that offer flatshares). Anything I need to know? Areas to avoid?

...Lot's of questions ;D ... well I hope you guys can maybe help answer some and/or give some advice...
Thanks! YessicaB

YessicaB

Re: Moving to Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:44:32 PM »
I am shamelessly bumping my own thread!

john2000

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:52:37 PM »
Hi"Yessicab, many thanks for the offer of getting together, but I think you will find a lot. if not all live far away or  out of town or in other countries, like Canada,The Netherlands, Belgium, and aussse-land, so if we miss the last bus we'll have a very long way to walk home.................... ;D John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 08:55:55 AM »
Oop's and I almost forgot our friends in New Zealand, and Tazzeland, who live loved and worked in a world that is not here today, ( some say the good old days, well I'm not not so sure,,,John 2000 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

ACE

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
Areas to avoid:

Aston, Nechells, Lozells, Handsworth, Ladywood, Newtown, Winson Green, Sparkbrook. They may be the cheapest places, but they are cheap for a reason - high unemployment, high crime. Stick to the leafy suburbs in the south of Birmingham

YessicaB

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »
Thanks. That helps!

si

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 10:42:35 PM »
You would be best trying to fins something temporary in the city centre. That way you will be near the main train stations and all the city ammenaties. You can then spend time looking around more of the out lying areas for a permanant base.

Tonto

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 07:13:18 AM »
Selly Oak should be good (if you can find anything). That's student-central so there's always a lot going on.

Living in the south of Brum all my life, I can heartily recommend it

maxim

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 11:46:34 PM »
Hi, i`m moving to Birmingham same as YessicaB. What about work?
Many people especially students are moving in for short time jobs (up to 3 months).
Is probability of finding a job in holiday season is satisfying?

ps. Sry form my English, my references are not so big as YessicaB  :'(, but I have some assets  8)

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 12:33:27 AM »
Hi, i`m moving to Birmingham same as YessicaB. What about work?
Many people especially students are moving in for short time jobs (up to 3 months).
Is probability of finding a job in holiday season is satisfying?

ps. Sry form my English, my references are not so big as YessicaB  :'(, but I have some assets  8)

What are your assets? ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy