Author Topic: being a brummie ?  (Read 30758 times)

Paulina

Re: being a brummie ?
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »
 :) I sure am a Brummie too and proud of it!!!  I was born at my Aunt's house, Millhouse Road, Yardley.  My Mother told me that I slept in a drawer the second night of my life as the first night, I slept in the same bed as my Mother, and I guess was lucky to be alive after!  I grew up in Birmingham, first, Mary St., Balsall Heath, and after, Weoley Castle.  So there you are, yes, always, and happy to be a born and bred Brummie  :) :)

trapio

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
Ray,

No surprises for me, as I said - ''Ladypool Rd.... is utterly changed'' - those tornadoes were back in 2005

Like Frederick, !'ve completely lost the accent - I left in 1959 and haven't been back...but plan to visit next year - though Ladypool Rd, our brilliant 'bottom of the road' shopping area is utterly changed - first knew of that on seeing the 'tornado' photos some years ago.

Integrity is non negotiable

frederick

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
Ray,
The Red Lion on Ladypool rd was my local, and my mum and dad played in the darts team. here's a photo taken in the Red Lion. you mite recognise someone.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

4orchard

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
I was born in brum and lived in Cato st north from 1940\59 and went to Bloomsbury st  school then Leigh rd  Washwood heath , has anyone
anyone got any info of the area around Saltley and Nechalls I would love to hear from you,
David R

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »
www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2050.0  welcome to the forum enjoy

have a look at this thread
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

DavidWilliams

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »
david r didi you know phylis and derrick maisey and also henry taroni?

4orchard

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Hi David I didn't know Phyllis or Derek Maisey but I did know of the Taronl family
They were in to scrap metal and I think they still are at the back my mind of one of them was at the same school and seem to remember a yard half way up Cato St 
My grandparents had builders merchant shop on the corner of Cato St and Saltley rd (WE Holland & son ) does anyone remember them

DavidWilliams

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 10:46:51 PM »
hi there. the taronies are a massive metal dealers in that area they have numerous large yards now I don't know them personally but Phyllis ad derrick where very good friends with henry who I believe was the founder [not certain about that ] I also knew a roy Mitchell who came out of cato st. in the 50/60s cheers dave.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »
Hi Orchard

I don't remember your grandparents but I remember the shop on the other corner of Cato St opposite the George. They were glass suppliers weren't they? You can just se the edge of the shop on this photo on the right.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

4orchard

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Hi David, you have got the right shop , and they did sell glass from there
the shops on the other corners were Baines cake shop and frankes  the
greengrocers do you remember them  i lived in cato st north at no 17
next but one to J h Richards factory the derelict building i still see when i pass on the train into Bham

David R

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »
Orchard

Sorry I only know the building from passing by each day on the way to work(for a short while only) at the other building you mention the old Vale of Evesham Brewery building which in my time c1954  was occupied by J R Chance & Co tube benders, but I believe previous to that part of the building was also occupied by J H Richards. I took this photo in 2008 from roughly where your grandparents shop would have stood.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy