Author Topic: being a brummie ?  (Read 30762 times)

Ray Harrison

being a brummie ?
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »
HI to all brummies out there, I was born and bred in Brum (Inkerman St Vauxhall)  but I have lived in Devon for 23 years, I am now back in Brum having retired. What my question is how long do you have to be in Brum to qualify as a brummie ? . Looking back at my family tree we first came to Brum in 1775 from County Durham. So What makes you a full brummie member?.
BUD

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: being a brummie ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »
hi r/h welcome to the forum enjoy

like the saying goes you can take the kid out of brum but you will never take brum out of the kid

if you was Born in brum then you will always be a brummie

I was Born in loveday street hospital so I think I'm a brummie  O0 O0 O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

greenbrummie

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
I was born on the no 11 outer circle bus route of  Birmingham but spent all but 3 years of my first 22 years  in walking distance of  the Bull Ring (the true heart of Birmingham) so I am proud to be a Brummie  and always will be.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:41:39 AM »
hi r/h welcome to the forum enjoy

like the saying goes you can take the kid out of brum but you will never take brum out of the kid

if you was Born in brum then you will always be a brummie

I was Born in loveday street hospital so I think I'm a brummie  O0 O0 O0
The reason I did ask the question (2 reasons) As I said I lived in Devon for 23 years and met people who  have lived there all their life but because they came from other parts of the UK are  still called "in comers" even their children born there.    second reason ,I was having a curry in an Asian restaurant  and the owner told me he was a Brummie his family who had come here in 1950s have since gone back to Pakistan.
BUD

Spud

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
I suppose I am one of those Born and Bred Brummies. Born in Handsworth after being bombed out in Sparkhill and Yardley and lived and worked in Brum all of my life and never really want to leave. Parents born in and around the Small Heath area all Blues Supporters . Great Great Grand Parents on Dad's side come from the Great Alne area and were farm workers. Funny how you meet up with Ex Brummies though. We were in Portland Maine USA in September and went into a Coffee Bar. As soon as I opened my mouth the Lad behind the counter [an Asian] immediately recognised the accent he came from Edgbaston . Small world.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

tony armstrong

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
i was born in brum and lived in francis st nechells i was born in 1947 my family and i moved to banbury in 1965 i returned to the west midlands in 2002 and live in walsall and i will always be a brummie and proud. :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
if you was born in brum then you are a brummie full stop  O0   you can always tell a brummie but not much
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ray Harrison

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
if you was born in brum then you are a brummie full stop  O0   you can always tell a brummie but not much
Yes I agree, I took a lot of stick when I moved to Devon,like, you come here to pinch or jobs( they could not do my job). I rebuilt a fishing boat and was dubed the Birmingham navy (and out fished them) all these things come from my brum background and thing only got from hard knocks in the slums. You cant take the slums out of a brummie iam proud  of my background, life training is better than university .
BUD

DavidWilliams

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »
like spud I was born in handsworth [heathfield rd lozells ] my eldest two where also born there the place has now disappeared but I see the stork pubs still there ;)

trapio

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
Being born in brum obviously qualifies anyone as a brummie in a 'strict sense' but being raised and going to school in brum are the essence of being a brummie for me. 

I'm from Balsall Heath almost Sparkbrook and happy as larry to be able to say that. 

Like Frederick, !'ve completely lost the accent - I left in 1959 and haven't been back...but plan to visit next year - though Ladypool Rd, our brilliant 'bottom of the road' shopping area is utterly changed - first knew of that on seeing the 'tornado' photos some years ago.
Integrity is non negotiable

Ray Harrison

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 06:43:58 PM »
Being born in brum obviously qualifies anyone as a brummie in a 'strict sense' but being raised and going to school in brum are the essence of being a brummie for me. 

I'm from Balsall Heath almost Sparkbrook and happy as larry to be able to say that. 

Like Frederick, !'ve completely lost the accent - I left in 1959 and haven't been back...but plan to visit next year - though Ladypool Rd, our brilliant 'bottom of the road' shopping area is utterly changed - first knew of that on seeing the 'tornado' photos some years ago.
You are in for a big shock mate Ladypool rd was one of our main shopping areas in 1960s none of which is there any longer. I used to drink in the Red Lion there the was one or two curry shops then I used Saleems and still do. but there are no pubs any more ,only Asian shops. I lived in Highgate then ,I met my wife in Balsall heath (Sherbourne Rd) good luck mate . have a nice Christmas brother Brummie.
BUD

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy