Author Topic: being a brummie ?  (Read 30757 times)

DavidWilliams

Re: being a brummie ?
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
one thing you could go out then and leave the house unlocked and know all would still be ok when you returned neighbours where neighbours looking out for each other

townie

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »
Slums as we know are nothing compared to some of the villages in Africa. Ok we had outside toilets and washrooms. Some of these villages would not know what a bathroom or toilet was. If you think we had it bad spare a thought for these people.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

DavidWilliams

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »
I don't think its a case of us thinking we had it bad,, as already stated everyone was in the same boat we did not know any different and accepted it the people who had got it better where the ones who decided they where slums rather than poorer class homes ,but even so I do agree the people in Africa and the like are far worse of than we where and look where we are in the twenty first century  :(

Ray Harrison

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »
 I don't think it fair to compare life styles of African or Aboriginal tribes. We are a different race in a different world . If Europeans had not gone to Africa or Australia these people would still be living the same way as they were which had not changed one bit for thousands of years and would have been better off with out our intervention?. In Europe we have been changing continually at a fast rate since the Vikings came followed by Romans, Normans etc. other wise we would still be in caves throwing stones and so on. If you go to Australia you will see their native tribes are in turmoil because they cant live in the modern world, they big problems with drink ,drugs ,no work because its not in their style to work they go off and travel . I know they now have their own lands up north but this lets them go back to there old way of life. I am sure its the same in Africa.
BUD

trapio

« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2014, 11:19:10 PM »
Prif Joad obviously knew nowt about any slum beyond his own limited ken - there are third world slums that were formed as folk were shepherded into into such locations Kissy, Freetown, SL is a prime example and this is not a big city - yet, after UK withdrew its companies, and through Civil war Kissy trebled in size, quadrupled population - mortality rose steeply and sewage runs today in most streets - but the people are 'battlers'
Integrity is non negotiable

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »
Plester

You made the following post today, in reply to the last post by "4orchard" unfortunately you posted via the "report to moderator" facility which cannot be viewed by the forum. I assume this was an error so I have reposted it here for you.   

No don't remember a builders merchant but remember the coal yard in Cato Street owned by Mr. James, it was known as Jennings Coal I think.also the Midland county milk company,and Smith's crisps in Saltley Road. Does anyone remember the police blue box in

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2016, 01:03:18 PM »
I always thought that the definition of being a Brummie was that you were born within hearing of the bells of St Martin's at the Bull Ring?

I was born & brought up in Solihull, although with a B postcode, Tamworth has B postcodes too but definitely not part of Birmingham.  Even where I live now came under Bromsgrove council until fairly recently  ::)  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Brummagemite

Re: Being a Brummy?
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2016, 04:40:13 PM »
Hi Judith

Myself I would have said anyone who was raised within the boundaries of the City of Birmingham can regard themselves as a proper Brummy, and if you were born here as well then that’s even better.

As to being born within the sound of the bells of St Martin's in the Bull Ring, I think this is a parody of the definition of a true Cockney and them having to be born within earshot of 'Bow Bells', that is to say those of St Mary-le-Bow.

If that’s right about St Martin’s bells then I suppose that would make you a true 'old end' Brummy, though I don’t think there will be that many around these days who would fall into this category.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy