Author Topic: Ansells Brewery  (Read 26127 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Ansells Brewery
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 11:00:52 AM »
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum, perhaps you could ask your dad if he knew this nurse who's name was possibly "Thelma" that Sheppy enquired about at the start of this thread. I hope you have encouraged you dad to write down some of his memories of Ansells Brewery so that they are not lost to us all.

You could even contact the Carl Chinn Birmingham Lives Archive, I am sure they would be interested,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Rob collins

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »
Did you ever get the name of the nurse. I have just come across this forum. My Dad (still alive and kicking) worked at the brewery man and boy, right up to the day that it closed. I even remember going to one of the union meetings and calling the union rep a scab by mistake. I was only a wee lad. 

steve j

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »
In the 1960's my nan worked in the surgery at the Ansells and as a kid I used to go and meet her from work. I am sure the nurse was nurse Thornton.

Rob collins

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »
I hope this helps. There was a Pat O'cleary, a sister Thornton my said she was never to be called nurse as she was from the military and nurse Liz Forster. My dad worked as an electrician by the name of Graham Collins. someone may know him. He told me in great detail of how the union or a certain two members were responsible for the breweries closure. I still have my fury squirrel from being a tot

steve j

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
With  reference to my previous post, it could well have been Sister Thornton. As I remember she was the person in charge of the surgery.
This would be the early sixties.

mike boulton

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »
did ansells when in aston do a bitter?when we were doing our training for the fire service at central Birmingham,we visited the brewery,we knew that at the end of the visit we would be visiting the canteen. on the way round the brewery one of the workers advised a couple of us to chew a piece of brewers yeast as it would help when we were having a few pints, which we did, and it worked a treat and we consumed a few!!!!! when we got back to the station it was knocking off time, and I duly got the bus home to tile cross where we lived at the time.the next thing I remember was waking up in alum rock,not on the way home but back on the way back into town, my wife wasn't very pleased when I finaly got home.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum, does this answer your question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiHIUzdSp_0
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
That's what I call a good answer O0 ;D ;D     And welcome to the forum Mike, good post. O0
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

blews st

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
I have just remembered back to the time I went to Aston Grammar School. I cannot remember the name of the road but I used to have to walk from Aston Cross to get to school. Well, one morning after a night raid by the Germans I can still see the row of houses that had been hit by a bomb which must have been on quite a shallow trajectory because the bomb travelled through the terrace and exploded some way along. Walking to school was a hazardous business in those days.
I think the road you mentioned was Pa rk Rd that got bombed in the war.

blews st

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 07:20:13 PM »
Did you ever get the name of the nurse. I have just come across this forum. My Dad (still alive and kicking) worked at the brewery man and boy, right up to the day that it closed. I even remember going to one of the union meetings and calling the union rep a scab by mistake. I was only a wee lad.
Why i asked about the nurse at ansells is she got me my first house which belonged to Ansells it was on Coventry Rd Small Heath next to the police station.

john kettle

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
The last pub to be built for Ansels was the longboat in Cambrian wharf it opened in 1970 a friend of mine ran it, before that he had the Bourne Brook in selly oak his name was John Kendrick and his brother was a director of the brewery the down fall of a lot of the brewery's was the introduction of larger and they did not keep up with the times so they sold out to bigger companies who just strip then of assets, a friend of mine owned the company who took all the brewing equipment out of Ansels and sold it for scrap. Will the name come back may be devonports has they are brewing again only bottle beer

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy