Author Topic: Ansells Brewery  (Read 26130 times)

normansil

Re: Ansells Brewery
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
That is a super looking old building, I am pleased that it still stands and is being used.
Beorma - founder of Birmingham

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
yes phil that's the one nice one thanks I can see my self falling out the door at 22 30
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ray Harrison

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
Albright was my tipple from Ansells. I don't know how they done it  but last year at a pub in Stourport they had Ansells mild on tap as a guest beer. back to the factory,we used to walk passed there when I was young and watched through the windows it was all go in them days. I have said before that I worked at HP at Aston Cross they also were a brewery and used to tap off the same spring as Ansells, when Ansells closed they used to sell off the unused water to severn trent. I saw the spring a few times when samples were taken,it was a full blown gusher about 10 ft down.
BUD

normansil

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
I have just remembered back to the time I went to Aston Grammar School. I cannot remember the name of the road but I used to have to walk from Aston Cross to get to school. Well, one morning after a night raid by the Germans I can still see the row of houses that had been hit by a bomb which must have been on quite a shallow trajectory because the bomb travelled through the terrace and exploded some way along. Walking to school was a hazardous business in those days.

townie

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »
ANSELLS v M&B    M&B for me.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ray Harrison

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »
dennis I agree with you M&Bs brew 11 was my main drink , at THe Red Lion Acocks green .  I was in there the night the bomb went off in the Rotunda and we heard it from there.
BUD

townie

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
Ray I don't think we should go there as most of the posts would be deleted tragedy.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ray Harrison

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
dennis , well when you talk about Ansells it has to evoke memories of other places that brewed around the area. Ansells were a big part of the Brimingham brewing scene, I don't know what percentage of pubs were Ansells or how many pubs were in Brum . Most streets had at least 1 pub , so pubs are important to older people . I live in quite a small street but it had 3 pubs and 2 outdoors.
BUD

normansil

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:50 PM »
Was there not a brewery at Five Ways?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
The closest breweries that I can recall to Five Ways was Davenports on Bath Row and Butlers at the Crown Brewery on Broad Street, but I'll do a little research to find if there was a closer one. I don't suppose I'll have a problem as quite a few pubs brewed their own ale to start with.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
Phil , HP were a brewery. The main part of their factory brewed beer thousands of gallon a day . The fact is was left open to air and turned to vinegar is beside the point they brewed beer to begin with. At the five ways plant.
BUD

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy