Author Topic: Ansells Brewery  (Read 10015 times)

normansil

Re: Ansells Brewery
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
That is a super looking old building, I am pleased that it still stands and is being used.
Beorma - founder of Birmingham

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
yes phil that's the one nice one thanks I can see my self falling out the door at 22 30
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ray Harrison

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
Albright was my tipple from Ansells. I don't know how they done it  but last year at a pub in Stourport they had Ansells mild on tap as a guest beer. back to the factory,we used to walk passed there when I was young and watched through the windows it was all go in them days. I have said before that I worked at HP at Aston Cross they also were a brewery and used to tap off the same spring as Ansells, when Ansells closed they used to sell off the unused water to severn trent. I saw the spring a few times when samples were taken,it was a full blown gusher about 10 ft down.
BUD

normansil

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
I have just remembered back to the time I went to Aston Grammar School. I cannot remember the name of the road but I used to have to walk from Aston Cross to get to school. Well, one morning after a night raid by the Germans I can still see the row of houses that had been hit by a bomb which must have been on quite a shallow trajectory because the bomb travelled through the terrace and exploded some way along. Walking to school was a hazardous business in those days.

townie

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »
ANSELLS v M&B    M&B for me.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ray Harrison

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »
dennis I agree with you M&Bs brew 11 was my main drink , at THe Red Lion Acocks green .  I was in there the night the bomb went off in the Rotunda and we heard it from there.
BUD

townie

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
Ray I don't think we should go there as most of the posts would be deleted tragedy.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ray Harrison

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
dennis , well when you talk about Ansells it has to evoke memories of other places that brewed around the area. Ansells were a big part of the Brimingham brewing scene, I don't know what percentage of pubs were Ansells or how many pubs were in Brum . Most streets had at least 1 pub , so pubs are important to older people . I live in quite a small street but it had 3 pubs and 2 outdoors.
BUD

normansil

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:50 PM »
Was there not a brewery at Five Ways?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
The closest breweries that I can recall to Five Ways was Davenports on Bath Row and Butlers at the Crown Brewery on Broad Street, but I'll do a little research to find if there was a closer one. I don't suppose I'll have a problem as quite a few pubs brewed their own ale to start with.
Make Love Not War

Ray Harrison

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
Phil , HP were a brewery. The main part of their factory brewed beer thousands of gallon a day . The fact is was left open to air and turned to vinegar is beside the point they brewed beer to begin with. At the five ways plant.
BUD