Author Topic: Ansells Brewery  (Read 26112 times)

GardenGerald

Re: Ansells Brewery
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
Hello
Ansells did draw huge amounts of water from Saltley Gas Works. It generated some income.
I lived in Cathcart Street not far from the Gas Works and the people used to about the Ansells Water.
They also joked about having to buy a pint from the Gasworks.
It is not a joke.
Gerald.

Bev K

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:29 PM »
my memory of Ansells (well apart from Brew XI of course) was the smell while waiting for the bus to go to work ... when down-wind you'd get it mingled with the sauce factory ...  :)

Scipio

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:58 PM »

Generally I didn’t like Ansells, our local had deliveries in a tanker and kept in glass lined tanks it was flat as a pancake when it came over the bar. Yet the best beer I ever had was Ansells at the Plant Inn, Chasetown . The landlord would have trays of part filled glasses on the bar with great heads on them he would top them up as required, wonderful. I heard that it is the water that gives beer its character, and it is the water that makes Burton on Trent a brewing town. On a visit to Cape Hill Brewery the guide said that when there was a strike the management would have to keep brewing small quantities of beer to retain the yeast and the beer’s characteristics.
   The original Ansells bittermen were several tough guys who would push their way up to the bar; some people thought it was glorifying thuggish behaviour, perhaps that is why the advert seems to have disappeared. The one with a large scar on his cheek lived round the corner from us.

Ironside M&B were on Cape Hill , Ansells were situated in Aston
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »
Hello BevK
Yes you are spot on with that. After Ansells closed down did you see the childrens nature park.
Take care
Gerald.

Bev K

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
Hello BevK
Yes you are spot on with that. After Ansells closed down did you see the childrens nature park.
Take care
Gerald.

Unfortunately no I didn't. I left B'ham while still but a slip of a girl ... ahem ... and my trips back were usually to see my sis who was at the time in Cannock area so hardly got in to Brum. But I have really fond memories of growing up in Birmingham (Erdington). A very different childhood to what is now acceptable but memorable none the less and character forming[/size] O0

jamesm

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
Regarding Ansells versus M&B. I always thought it depended in which pub you drank. When I first started frequenting pubs I drank mild ale. The mild in the Sheldon and the Wheatsheaf was rubbish and I soon learnt to mix it with a Nut Brown or a Bruno but the mild in the  Three Horseshoes was absolute nectar. When I started to drink bitter, after experimenting with various concoctions such a s black velvet, stout and vimto (Yes it is as revolting as it sounds!) I found that the best bitter was to be found in Ansells pubs and it was rare to find an M&B pub that served a decent pint of bitter. Then I went to the Wagon & Horses and was introduced to Bass Bitter. 'Nuff said O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
Gerald

How did Ansells access these huge amounts of water? Did they have a private pipeline laid from Saltley to Aston Cross or did they lay on a fleet of tankers? Yes there were artesian wells at Saltley Gas works but I have no doubt they were used in the gas production process. Why would Ansells have a bore hole drilled at Saltley when they had ample water on site?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 09:20:32 PM »
Hello Phil
It was to do with the quality of the water and it was piped. I was in and out of the Gasworks for some time because we had to detox the site. Brothertons chemical works was also a major headache.
Have you ever seen anything about the generation of electricity on site with an entrance from Duddeston Mill Road.
I sadly saw the first swing of the wrecking ball.
More history gone for ever.
Gerald.

ironside

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »
Scipio, I know, that was a general comment in connection with the post about Ansells brewery being moved, can you change the water and or ingredients and produce the same beer! Long after Ansells closed down there was a depot on the Gravelly Hill Industrial Estate with millions of kegs of Ansells beer awaiting dispatch. When I started drinking I found Banks's beer undrinkable, later in the 1970's it became a good pint wherever you found it. I'm sure the brew was changed. Highgate Brewery, Walsall was owned by M&B the brew was sold in all clubs and I was told by different publicans that the brewery could not supply the demand. If the outlet was close to B'ham Cape Hill supplied the beer if closer to Wolverhampton Springfield Brewery supplied. So who knows what you were drinking.   

Scipio

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
I heard that when Aston Manor Brewery started in the 80's it used the wells that had supplied water to Ansells when they were operational. Any member know anything about this ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Scipio

Aston Manor brewery was started on Thimble Mill Lane, not very far from Aston Cross, I have no doubt that like HP Sauce and  no doubt Saltley Gas works they tapped into the same underground water source as Ansells Brewery.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy