Author Topic: Ansells Brewery  (Read 26122 times)

Scipio

Re: Ansells Brewery
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »

Scipio

Aston Manor brewery was started on Thimble Mill Lane, not very far from Aston Cross, I have no doubt that like HP Sauce and  no doubt Saltley Gas works they tapped into the same underground water source as Ansells Brewery.

Thanks Phil , I was reading yesterday Aston Manor Brewery are going from strength to strength , good for them
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »

my memory of Ansells (well apart from Brew XI of course) was the smell while waiting for the bus to go to work ... when down-wind you'd get it mingled with the sauce factory ...  :)

BevK you'd obviously drank to much Brew X1, that was brewed and sold in M&B houses.
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »
Hello
In Wales we have a lot of small breweries sprouting up and the beer quality is good.
When out of the UK some of this will be exported. Lots of vineyards around and cider people.
In 1900 Wales exported huge quantites of wine to France. All grown the Bute Way.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2017, 09:22:31 PM »
As this thread is about Ansells Brewery, can we please keep to Ansells which was a Birmingham Brewery.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ironside

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »
Been having a long conversation with my son in-law about the brewing industry. He told me more than I can retain. Ansells was bought out by Carlsberg Tetley, Northampton. The number of mergers and takeovers is mind boggling M&B has been swallowed up by Coors, a Canadian company, after Cape Hill and Springfield brewing was transferred to Burton. The likes of Ember Inns and Punch Taverns took over the retailing after the government forced the breweries sell off their houses. The big breweries just supply drink now. He said Aston Manor is owned by the chairman of Aston Villa FC.

Scipio

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »

Some of the workers used to get beer tickets , an employee of Ansells used to use The Shareholders in Aston , Robbo if I remember properly . He gave me a couple of tickets,  it always tasted better when someone else pays for it . Making a delivery to Ansells goods
inwards , samples where available , the bloke I was helping on the delivery , asked for a sample and was told to take two from under the table. Bottles of mild it was and I can say it certainly tasted better than what was sold in the pubs
Mark Twain

Bev K

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »

BevK you'd obviously drank to much Brew X1, that was brewed and sold in M&B houses.

:-[   ooops!! Actually I "never touched the stuff" myself and am quoting my brother (not the one who threw home made bombs - but the OTHER one) - I guess he must've defected at some point and started guzzling Brew XI. I like my lagers now - mostly Mexican light brews like Sol and Dos XX but I wouldn't say no to a nice half a pint of something from Brum's breweries. I have really enjoyed the history lessons about the source wells for the water for Ansells brewing ... thanks to everyone who added to that ... O0

Potomac

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2017, 09:24:18 PM »
Coors was an American company based in Golden, Colorado where there still is a brewery.  The Canadian connection comes through merger with the Molson empire.  The following link might be of interest showing the development of Molson, Coors and Miller and their acquisitions over the years.

http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/our-story/our-history
best wishes,  Alan

Scipio

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »

:-[   ooops!! Actually I "never touched the stuff" myself and am quoting my brother (not the one who threw home made bombs - but the OTHER one) - I guess he must've defected at some point and started guzzling Brew XI. I like my lagers now - mostly Mexican light brews like Sol and Dos XX but I wouldn't say no to a nice half a pint of something from Brum's breweries. I have really enjoyed the history lessons about the source wells for the water for Ansells brewing ... thanks to everyone who added to that ... O0

BevK didn't mean to appear brusque in that last post , but if you had drank it you'd be feeling the pinch nowadays , I loved the stuff but haven't been able to get it for quite some years now. I've now switched to real ales now , cheers
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
Who made Kingpin beer that was a drink around the same time as brew x1.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

jamesm

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
Who made Kingpin beer that was a drink around the same time as brew x1.
Definitely Ansells, Fred.  Used to be sold in the Brum Kavern Club in Wordsworth Road. Must have been the worst pint of Mild I've tasted. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy