Author Topic: Train spotting  (Read 27547 times)

townie

Re: Train spotting
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
(Reference previous post)  If you get off the train there you can visit the museum well worth a visit. Also where those 3 people are in the photo just down the hill is a Pub/bed and breakfast, The Ship Inn great place for a drink and good bar food.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

ironside

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »
In the 50’s I went, with a mate, to see a Deltic at Lichfield Trent Valley, it was undergoing tests by English Electric. As I recall it had a glass roof and several white collar men with drawing boards could be seen in there. This may have been a dyno car pulled by the actual locomotive, time plays tricks with the memory, but I thought it was the actual loco. Whenever I mention this no one believes me. I happened to bump into the lad I was with, but he said he couldn’t remember. Did anyone see this? Wolverhampton Low Level is now a venue for functions. My father said he used to set his watch to the Pines Express in the 1920/30’s. I used to see it regularly, occasionally it would be pulled by a Brit: Britannia, John Bunyan, Oliver Cromwell, but mostly it was Samson, worked to death and filthy, all white water stains. The fireman would be shovelling furiously, how they kept it up amazes me.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »
Living in Kent why o why did they decide to put the third line on the ground instead of the pantograph overhead, there would be no more leaves on the line to stop them.They must have pocketed a fortune these directerters of British rail,
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mikejee

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2017, 09:42:16 PM »
Edmund
You might not be so sure of that if you were a regular customer of the cross city line, where there is a special autumn timetable, whereby, for some trains, some stations are not stopped at because of leaves on the line

townie

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
Just heard steam train come through Tamworth Station on the lower level I think 21.30. Don't know what it was or where it was going but it was there. The old whistle was blowing great to hear but would have been better to see if only I had have known.

townie

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »

Edmund
You might not be so sure of that if you were a regular customer of the cross city line, where there is a special autumn timetable, whereby, for some trains, some stations are not stopped at because of leaves on the line

The reason they do that is to keep to a timetable.

dave1954

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
http://railwayherald.com/railtours

Must have been this one Townie , The Christmas White Rose , Tyseley to York and the return ::)

townie

« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:22 AM »

Thanks Dave Thinking about it, it must have been on the high level as there is no spaghetti up there.  O0 Thanks for the link. Ive put a photo of  5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe which I believe was the engine heading the train. Ive put it at Tyseley because that's where I started my railway career. O0 Happy days

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy