Author Topic: Carlton Club Band photo  (Read 3765 times)

Phil Richards

Carlton Club Band photo
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »

I am trying to find out more about this photo of my grandfather with the Carlton Club Band. I know that the Carlton Club became Mothers in the 60s, but this was obviously before then, perhaps the 20s or 30s. Does anyone know about this era or could point me in the right direction to find out more about the other personnel in the band and specifically what years they played together? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil Richards

Moor End Lad

Re: Carlton Club Band photo
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
I'm intrigued by your post, because my memory is that the 'Carlton Club' opposite the church in Erdington was only so named for a short period before it became 'Mothers' in 1968. Before around 1966 it was known as the 'Carlton Dene' ballroom, and the resident band was the 'Bob Pegg Seven', whose drummer was my friend's father.

Are you absolutely sure that this much earlier photo is from Erdington - it's a common name ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Phil

In the mid 30's the store at 135-137 High Street was owned by Peacocks and there was no mention of the Carlton Club. So it is entirely possible that the Carlton Club in the photo may have been located elsewhere.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »
Phil

Another thing, the Carlton Club was only called that name for a short while between being called the Carlton Ballroom in the 50's and Mothers in 1968. That photo looks definitely pre 1950's to me.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Moor End Lad

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »
Phil

Another thing, the Carlton Club was only called that name for a short while between being called the Carlton Ballroom in the 50's and Mothers in 1968. That photo looks definitely pre 1950's to me.
How strange - that could have been me talking just two replies before - I'm hearing an echo!

Moor End Lad

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »
Just to add a little more evidence, the windows in the photo do not line up with the windows in the actual supposed building, so this must be somewhere else.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
Sorry Moor End Lad I must have missed your comments, oddly I was just going to comment on the windows as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil Richards

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
Thanks for your replies to my photo post. I came to the same conclusion when I contacted someone in the Erdington Historical Society and he said he'd not heard of it. I checked the Trade Directories and it quickly became obvious that it didn't exist there at the period I was looking at. I'm waiting now for the Music section at the new library in Birmingham to sort their collections so that I can follow it up there.

I assumed that it was Erdington because my grandfather lived in Aston and I thought that maybe he would have played in the local area. When I googled 'Carlton Club', I jumped to the wrong conclusion. As you say, it could easily have been somewhere else, and obviously was.

Can you think of any other ways that I could get any leads on this?

suegaughran

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 01:20:16 AM »
I found this post on a search for Bob Pegg Seven. My father was the pianist for this band and I have some very early memories of attending rehearsals at the Child Welfare clinic in Greet. Sadly my dad died in 1967 and my mum died in 2009 and I never asked her about the band my dad was in before her death. I had almost convinced myself that the Bob Pegg Seven was a figment of my imagination until today, but clearly it was not a dream! Is there anyone out there in Brumland who has more info? I was only 10 when my dad died but I have a strong memory of a connection with Meriden - I recall visiting there with my dad I think to visit one of the band at the smithy. Funnily enough my mum later moved to Meriden and I now live in Hampton in Arden but each time I shop in Meriden I get this recollection of visits with my dad to do with the band.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy