Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928634 times)

winnymag

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #1419 on: December 03, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »
Hi all, sorry it's been so long since my last post. I don't really drink alcoholic beverages that much and me being the son of an Irishman I can't understand why the booze bug never bit me, I do however think of the pubs my father used to frequent with me and my siblings in tow and leaving us to drink vimto in the pub doorway, the pubs were the Baltic, corner of Hope st and Sherlock st, the White Swan, corner of Pershore rd and St Lukes rd, the Earl Grey, pershore rd, St Lukes tavern, known as (the Bosted Boot), corner of Vere st and st Lukes rd, the Tree's Bristol st, the Sun, Sun st and Bristol st, and some others going towards Gooch st.       

mjay

« Reply #1420 on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »
Hi all
This my first post so sorry if I should post somewhere else to start.
I've been browsing through the site for a few days now, some great info and photos.
I've been looking for any info on pub called The Prince Alfred Tavern that was recorded on an ancestor of mines 1901 census 
the address was 5 bk 15 Gt Tindal St Birmingham.

Is Tindal st still there

My ancestor was 81 when she ran this pub !!

Any info would be very much appreciated.
Thanx in advance

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1421 on: December 03, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
Hi mjay

Welcome to you, part of Great Tindal Street remains but as far as the old buildings are concerned they are mostly gone. Your ancestors premises would have been at the St Vincent St end of the street. The 1913 edition of Kellys Trade Directory records that William Stafford had a beer retailers at the rear of No 15. A beer retailer would be a person who's licence only allowed the sale of beer, ales, porter, cider and alcoholic drinks of that nature.

If you keep an eye on this thread Mikejee will probably add some more information for you when he spots it.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1422 on: December 04, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »
Would your ancestor be Mrs Dorcas Lake?. She is listed as being a beer retailer at back of 15 Gt Tindal St in the  editions of Kelly’s directory from 1892-1900. By the 1903 Edition it is run by William Stafford. In the 1890 edition it is John Lake, but in the 1888 edition no business is listed at back no 15 . The date is the date of publication , and, around 1900 it can be taken that the details are correct for the period of the last 9 months of the previous year or the first 3 months of the year quoted.
Below is a c 1889 map showing the junction of Gt Tindal St & St Vincent St. Back no 15 must have been one of the buildings in the area marked in red. The most likely is the one near the road marked in a deeper red.
“Beer retailer” can mean either a beerhouse (has a licence to sell beer  only on the premises) or an off licence. If you had not already determined that the business had a name (the Prince Alfred Tavern), as it was in a back court I would have assumed it was an off licence and not a pub. It is quite unusual, at the turn of the century anyway, to find a pub in a back court

mjay

« Reply #1423 on: December 04, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
Wow  :D
Yes that's my ancestor

Thank you really do appreciate the help my cousins and I have been looking for ages no wonder we couldn't find anything.
We were just intrigued as she was 81 and the thought of running a pub at that age

Again Thank you
Mandy  8)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1424 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
Hi all, sorry it's been so long since my last post. I don't really drink alcoholic beverages that much and me being the son of an Irishman I can't understand why the booze bug never bit me, I do however think of the pubs my father used to frequent with me and my siblings in tow and leaving us to drink vimto in the pub doorway, the pubs were the Baltic, corner of Hope st and Sherlock st, the White Swan, corner of Pershore rd and St Lukes rd, the Earl Grey, pershore rd, St Lukes tavern, known as (the Bosted Boot), corner of Vere st and st Lukes rd, the Tree's Bristol st, the Sun, Sun st and Bristol st, and some others going towards Gooch st.       

Hi Winnymag,

Lets see if we can bring back a few memories for you.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #1425 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
Interestingly an old friend's Father kept The Earl Grey during World War 2 and tells the story that as it was so prominent being painted white it was used as a marker for Aircraft during Air Raids.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1426 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
Spud

A few photos of the Earl Grey for you, and you are right it would have stood out a bit.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stellastar

« Reply #1427 on: January 01, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »
Does anyone remember the shepherds rest in digbeth, it used to be opposite bradford street police station and the adam and eve pub, my mom and dad used to run this pub in the 70's, sue and eddie coyle.Also some one posted about the North star pub being shut down, it isn't , its still open.Some pubs i do remember that are no longer here are the costomongers, the sydnem, the chestnuts . ::)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1428 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
Hi Stella

Welcome to the forum, I remember the Shepherds Rest well, but from a little earlier than you in the 60's when it was used by the drivers from W.Groom Transport in Ravenhurst St. Your dads name sounds familiar though, what did he do after he had the Shepherd?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stellastar

« Reply #1429 on: January 02, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
Hi Stella

Welcome to the forum, I remember the Shepherds Rest well, but from a little earlier than you in the 60's when it was used by the drivers from W.Groom Transport in Ravenhurst St. Your dads name sounds familiar though, what did he do after he had the Shepherd?
We had to leave the pub in 1976 as ansells went on strike. My Dad worked at virtually all the pubs in Digbeth, a few years before he passed away he had been worked at the White Swan in Digbeth where he had worked for years, for many years he had also  worked in the North Star in Stechford . O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy