Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928735 times)

vauxonion

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #1441 on: February 14, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
Hi Phil, yes the Old Lodge is the one I was thinking of on the other side from the Dolphin. Not my regular pub but have drunk in there.

The Old Gate rings a bell, I think that's the pub I was thinking off opposite the Wrexham.

So when you first came under the railway arch off Digbeth the first pub on the left was the Clements and then on the next corner was the Dolphin? Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Around the time I was around Small Heath in the late 70's early 80's  my mate was called Lenny Cottrell (not the famous author) and his brother Mick Cottrell. Other local Small Heath guys I knew were Billy Costello, Neil Cherry, Kenny Berry another guy called   Brian (I think) Dawney or Dorney and quite a few more whose names escape me at the moment.
   Don't know if you ran into any of them on your travels.
   Thanks again for jogging my memory about the names of the old pubs.

I know a Mark Costello who comes from Small Heath and still drinks down there He,s an electrician in his middle 40s Dek

planetmalc

« Reply #1442 on: February 14, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »

I know a Mark Costello who comes from Small Heath and still drinks down there He,s an electrician in his middle 40s Dek

Did he have a brother named Micky, Dek?    (Micky was smallish, had straight jet black hair and would have been born around 1947).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

townie

« Reply #1443 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
Does anybody remember The Harliquin Shard End Great pub.before a certain group took over and like many pubs it closed.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1444 on: February 14, 2013, 10:08:13 PM »
I do remember the Harlequin though to be honest it was a pub that I never used. Too far to stagger home from.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #1445 on: February 14, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
Nice photo Phill do you know when the photo was taken as we used to live on top of the shops oppersite the pub and that car on the left looks a bit like my friends dads car.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1446 on: February 15, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
Dennis

I haven't got a clue, but I would guess at the early to mid 60's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peter M

« Reply #1447 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »
vauxonion wrote

Hi vauxonion I'm just turned 61 and Billy Costello was a few years older than me so I'm guessing he'd be 63 to 65 now. I think he used to live off Garrison Lane. I've got his address somewhere I'll dig it out later. Tall slim guy over 6 foot.

One of the other guys I mentioned was actually called Colin Dawney or Dorney not Brian

townie

« Reply #1448 on: February 16, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
The Monkey house on Cato street did it have an old piano in the room for when anybody got hammered they took it out on the piano instead of fighting.

maggie

« Reply #1449 on: February 17, 2013, 08:19:26 AM »
Phil, have been browsing and see that you at times
used the Crownand Cushion Perry Barr, now was this the big one by the traffic lights or the one down the road by the railway bridge...personally I used the old one by bridge,friendly but again before your time,1950s for me..Also used the old Scott Arms
and the Malt Shovel up the Birmingham Road.....
do unto others as you would be done by

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1450 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
Maggie

It was the large Crown & Cushions that I used in the early 60's before they built the new road complete with traffic islands and underpasses. This photo shows how it looked back then, the other photo shows the other Crown & Cushion that you used though I have to be honest I wasn't even aware of it then.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #1451 on: February 17, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
Phil The photo of the Harlequin you posted, can you post it onto the topic i have just created Shard End. It may jog peoples memory. 
Thanks Dennis.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy