Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 926827 times)

john2000

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »
Bannion... some have all the luck, maybe I used the wrong aftershave, I dont know, I knew lots of slags, ( who I woud'nt want to be seen dead with, ), later when I stopped wearing the wincke pickers and drainpipes,  and the TC hair cut, things picked up a little, happy days,  O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 11:00:48 PM »
Bannion

I think the photo dates back to about 1900, because as I remember it on the corner of Newton St was the Coroners office and courts.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 11:11:52 PM »
John

If you are talking about the pub at the back of St Martins, What used to be called the Talbot and I think is now called the Bull Ring Tavern. It belongs to a mate of mine and it may be rough but like all rough pubs it takes a fortune.

He has just sold out to a London outfit for five times what he paid seven years ago, so he is moving to his country pub shortly in sort of semi retirement.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »

That being said my first pint cost me 1/1d and it was in the Sportsman, Saltley Rd, Neachells
I remember The Sportsman, but in '73.
the first pubs I went in were in Nechells, as my friend's young and hippy uncle lived in Stuart St. and we used to wag school and get dolled up at his house, and he didn't mind us smoking (this is scary now I have a daughter who is the same age as I was then :-[), but I know, for sure, that the 70's was more innocent in some ways - people weren't so hard and uncaring.

The New Inns, (on Stuart St. was the first one I went in...we got called in by some lads, through the open door, they were playing darts and we were returning from the off-licence with a bottle of cider).

we used to go to  The Villa Tavern, about 2 roads away as well. Loved the jukebox there

and the White Horse, another few roads away, which we called the Whites Nages, because of my nutty friend Christine.
We'd walk up Holborn Hill to get to them.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
It's funny, but I could never ice skate, as much as I tried, I could never keep upright, my legs would go all over the place, but rollerskateing well thats an other matter, ( for me, it's  four on the floor, not one on the edge,), but I wish I could have ice skated...
I would have loved to have ice-skated too John.
When I was about 7 one of my dad's workmates gave him a pair of girls ice skates, but, unfortunately they were a size 3, much too big then, but I dreamed of when I would fit into them, as I read the ice-skating stories in my girls comics.
When I finally went when I was about 12/13 I couldn't stand up either, it was scary....but it was great when 2 friends took me round, one on each arm.

me and dad, when he was alive, used to love watching ice-skating on T.V. and I still watch it now, even though they usually put it on BBC2 late.

Thank goodness that Dancing On Ice has started again...I love it.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
Oh dear, I hope one of them wasn't me John!   I do seem to vaguely recall some rather vomit-inducing rides home after a night out.............oops, open that window quick!      Does this bring back happy memories?!!!

oh dear, I've just written about similar on another thread, where the Bull Ring Tavern was mentioned...and it reminded me of my 17th birthday there. :-[

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »
 ice skating  at the ice rink on the Dudley road spring hill the the heart beat i all ways ended up with a wet assss but the best place to go was the roller rink embassy Walford road i used to go to a coffee bar in handsworth Soho road this coffee bar had a down stares room with a juke box and seats that we could sit in or have a dance (bop  or jive) the girls with there stick out dress and the boys with there drain pips no drugs just good fum i had loads of girl friends to take home none of us had a car it was bus or on foot i think beer was about 10 p a point a coke was 5p  egg and chips in the coffee bar was 10 p but then i was getting £2 10 shillings aweek i was left with one pound to my self i had to pay bus far fags and lunch out of that and try a pay the flicks for a girl and my self
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
Mazbeth,

Especially for you, a reminder of a bygone time when youth took priority over the rights and wrongs of life and tomorrow didn't matter, and myself I would have been in total agreement with your friends hippy uncle. (as long as my ever growing clan never find out)

Peace Man

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nathan

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 09:39:52 PM »
hi brill 47
I have been out today around saltly. When I put my latest pics on computer some of them are not very good beng such a dull day,
Yet again I call for your help. I already owe you loads of ale.
Have you any pics of,Moriarty's (White Tower), Winning Post(The Rocket) Tilt Hammer
(gone) The Gate (Gone), Sailors Return Gone. The Midland, gone.
I know I could search the net for the latter Four but I have feeling You will have the best and latest
Dave (nathan)

nathan

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »
Bril47, and  gang
Have you ever been drinking in the Hobmoor , or the old Swan  at Yardey,The Sheldon,
Three horse shoes, Wagon and horses,sheldon,Stirrup Cup,Cabin,St Bernards Grange,The Chemelsy,These are some my old watering holes, and I am feeling left out :-[
dave,Nathan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »
Nathan

If you feel left out join in the conversion, its not mandatory to join in with the arguments. I've been having a look through my pics and have come up with one or two that you want. Give me a little time and I'll come up with the rest.

Where was the Tilt Hammer I recognise the name, but I don't think I ever used it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy