Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928785 times)

townie

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2266 on: June 02, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #2267 on: June 06, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
Yup, it looks like that now - less most of the roof  :P
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2268 on: June 06, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »
Dear Phil (and anyone else who went to the Royal Oak in the 1960s or 70s),

I'm a solicitor representing someone who worked at the Royal Oak on Stoney Lane in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

I'd be really grateful if I could telephone you to ask you about your memories of the pub. Would you be willing to speak to me? If so, please can you email me your telephone number? It would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Alice

Hi Alice

I don't think I can help you much, though I used the Royal Oak frequently in the 70's I was never a regular and I only used it then because my mate Alf and his brothers used it and I would sometimes go in there to meet him, but other than Alf's family I never knew anybody else in there by name including the staff.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2269 on: June 07, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
Alice. As soon as you mentioned that you were a solicitor representing someone who worked at the Royal Oak on Stoney Lane, whoever was in there at that time will remain silent unless you say why? 

townie

« Reply #2270 on: June 07, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »

Getting back on track I know we have had this one before a long time ago, so this is for all new members its still the only photo I have come across of The Brown Derby. Thank you

townie

« Reply #2271 on: June 11, 2017, 11:54:01 AM »

Help needed anyone know the name of the pub on the left under the bridge? I THINK the photo is of Old Walsall Road Hamstead. Thank you.

Alice

« Reply #2272 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »
Hi Alice

I don't think I can help you much, though I used the Royal Oak frequently in the 70's I was never a regular and I only used it then because my mate Alf and his brothers used it and I would sometimes go in there to meet him, but other than Alf's family I never knew anybody else in there by name including the staff.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for replying to my message. Would you or Alf or his brothers be willing to speak to me about your memories of it? If so, I would be hugely grateful if you could give me a call on 0207 492 0771.

Kind regards,

Alice

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2273 on: June 22, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
Alice

Once again I fear I will have to apologise, Alf was the baby of his family all 15 of them I think 13 survived birth, sadly last time I heard all of his siblings had passed away. Alf is well into his eighties now and I have not seen him for many years. the last time being at his next youngest brothers funeral or it might have been my aunts funeral I'm nor sure which. I suppose it's very likely that he could be gone now, but I think I would have heard. R will see if I can contact him for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Alice

« Reply #2274 on: June 23, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Alice

Once again I fear I will have to apologise, Alf was the baby of his family all 15 of them I think 13 survived birth, sadly last time I heard all of his siblings had passed away. Alf is well into his eighties now and I have not seen him for many years. the last time being at his next youngest brothers funeral or it might have been my aunts funeral I'm nor sure which. I suppose it's very likely that he could be gone now, but I think I would have heard. R will see if I can contact him for you.

Thanks Phil. That's much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Alice

townie

« Reply #2275 on: July 14, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »

Getting back on topic anyone know this pub? Just cant make out the name or street name.

W.A.Pirate

« Reply #2276 on: July 15, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »
  TOWNIE

REF #2271   THE PUB WAS KNOWN AS THE BACCHUS or THE JOLLY BACCHUS

ITS CORRECT NAME WAS "THE GRAPES"
   LOCATION  BACCHUS RD  WINSON GREEN

BACCHUS RD RUNS FROM LODGE RD W/GREEN TO NINEVEH RD HANDSWORTH
    THE PUB WAS SIX SHOPS FROM NINEVEH RD

IT WAS MY LOCAL FROM 1958 TILL 1969     SMALL LOCAL PUB, GOOD ATMOSPHERE, GOOD BEER, GOOD GAFFER.

I WOULD GUESS PHOTO CIRCA 63-67   THE CAR OUTSIDE LOOKS LIKE A MK2 ZEPHYR   WHICH NIGHT HAVE BEEN MINE

SO TOWNIE  OLD WALSALL RD IT CERTAINLY IS NOT

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy