Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 588141 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2453 on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
Judith

Looking on Google street view  most of the new builds on Callowbrook Lane are houses. The only flats (sorry apartments) are down where the Plough used to be. Apparently Astwood used to drink in the pub and says it was on Callowbrook Lane and that it was replaced by flats. Look at his posts on this thread for September 18th 2009.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #2454 on: February 20, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »
Judith

Looking on Google street view  most of the new builds on Callowbrook Lane are houses. The only flats (sorry apartments) are down where the Plough used to be. Apparently Astwood used to drink in the pub and says it was on Callowbrook Lane and that it was replaced by flats. Look at his posts on this thread for September 18th 2009.

I'm not sure where the Plough used to be, do you have the street number?  I was thinking the Corn Cob was where these flats are -

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=43517953F16D90978EDA9DE208F20A64BB05C84E&thid=OIP.47LvhrJl-snt9TTg2B7t8AHaFj&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ahfieldproperties.com%2Fassets%2Fcontent%2Fproperties%2F42%2Fphotos%2F1.jpg&exph=525&expw=700&q=callowbrook+lane+&selectedindex=5&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

They are on the corner of Callowbrook Lane & Deelands Road.  Is this where the Plough was?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2455 on: February 20, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
Judith

I have to admit I thought those were houses as some of them are, the Plough was right down the other end of the lane and at one time New Road went right past the front door before the bypass arrived.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #2456 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:00 PM »
Judith

I have to admit I thought those were houses as some of them are, the Plough was right down the other end of the lane and at one time New Road went right past the front door before the bypass arrived.

Yes, there are a couple of houses, but the corner block leading into Deelands Road is flats.  Do you know when the Corn Cob was demolished?  I've tried to search & can't come up with a date.  I'm still trying to decide whether I actually saw the Corn Cob!

The Plough looks like it was a great building.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2457 on: February 21, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »
Yes, there are a couple of houses, but the corner block leading into Deelands Road is flats.  Do you know when the Corn Cob was demolished?  I've tried to search & can't come up with a date.  I'm still trying to decide whether I actually saw the Corn Cob!

The Plough looks like it was a great building.

Judith

I have no idea when it opened or when it closed because it was a rarity inasmuch as it was one of these pubs that I have never heard mentioned and certainly had never used or even passed by. I don't think it could have been there long at all.

The Plough like many of these large pubs on the outskirts of Birmingham ended up as one of these chain restaurants, but unfortunately it most have been losing money toward the end and it was decided a nice apartment block would be more profitable. 
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #2458 on: February 22, 2019, 01:31:04 PM »

Judith

I have no idea when it opened or when it closed because it was a rarity inasmuch as it was one of these pubs that I have never heard mentioned and certainly had never used or even passed by. I don't think it could have been there long at all.

The Plough like many of these large pubs on the outskirts of Birmingham ended up as one of these chain restaurants, but unfortunately it most have been losing money toward the end and it was decided a nice apartment block would be more profitable.

I do wonder what percentage of closed pub plots end up as retirement flats  ;D

That complex on the Corn Cob site looks newer than the amount of time I've lived in the area, but the bus route used to go down [censored] Hill Lane rather than Callowbrook Lane until a few years ago, which could explain why I'm not certain whether I saw the Corn Cob when it was still running.  We'd have gone down Callowbrook Lane only occasionally in the car.