Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928660 times)

sheldonboy

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #803 on: June 12, 2009, 08:15:54 PM »
Ynot , Re: your sons Wedding. Congratulations to your son, what district are you comming to. Pubwise.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

ynot14

« Reply #804 on: June 12, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
I'll be at Villa Park all Saturday (4th July) right through till late and wouldn't mind sneaking away now and again. I cannot remember which pubs are still open now as it's 25 years since I was last down the Villa.

Thanks for your congrats thats three down one to go, although no not true my eldest daughter threw her second husband out before I could get to him cos he hit her....he's now left Llanelli and Wales as he knows I will actually kill him.

I'm going to the Arbor Lights (new to me) in Walsall on Friday evening to meet an old female friend and will probably go to my other sons later so we can have a few jars in Leamore Walsall.

It's Aston now that I don't know any more :(

tramp

« Reply #805 on: June 12, 2009, 11:09:10 PM »
ynot14,

After 2 bouts of malaria well inside year in Africa in the 70s, I lost the taste for scotch and ended up on cognac - like you, I'll drink any good one, but Hine is my favourite.  There's no brandy here to speak of but the VSOP + quality rums are really something special - my No. 1 is not from here it's Mount Gay Extra Old from Barbados - a very fine drink, M G Extra Old.  I never took to vodka due to lack of taste, though I ''tried hard'' for a few weeks....

I hope you have a good time at the wedding and a fine friendly Friday reunion.  Walsall Arboretum..takes me back 50 odd years to when there was a bloke living 30ft? up a pole  there - anyone else remember that?  I can't recall what his purpose was as there was no wait for it pole taxAfter 2 bouts of malaria well inside year in Africa in the 70s, I lost the taste for scotch and ended up on cognac - like you, I'll drink any good one, bit Hine is my favourite.  There's no brandy here to speak of but the VSOP + quality rims are really something special - my No 1 is not from here it's Mount Gay Extra Old from Barbados - a very fine drink, M G Extra Old.  I never took to vodka due to lack of taste, though I ''tried hard'' for a few weeks....

I hope you have a good time at the wedding and a fine friendly Friday reunion.  Walsall Arboretum..takes me back 50 odd years to when there was a bloke living 30ft? up a pole  there - anyone else remember that?  I can't recall what his purpose was as there was no wait for it, pole tax  ;D back then

sheldonboy

« Reply #806 on: June 13, 2009, 05:07:48 AM »
Ynot
I don't want to put a dampener on you day in Brum, but trust me Aston and especially the pubs in Aston are not how you remember them. Do not move around this area alone. The Villa ground is a sound place to be.

ynot14

« Reply #807 on: June 13, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
sheldonboy
Thanks for that and I must say I'm not suprised that Aston is now like that, it wasn't that hospitable 25 years ago, and I gather there are now turf wars going on with the little boy gangs and their guns. I probably threw their fathers out of the clubs in Brum back in the 1970s.

I think it sums everything up with this country when my best mate up in Brum, who happens to be the blackest Jamaican (and the biggest) you could wish to meet, who worked his guts out after leaving the Army and put up with all the snide remarks when he brought his house in Solihull (with his Jamaican wife) says "The trouble with this country is all the n*****s who have never seen their homeland but carry a chip the size of an Oak tree. >:(

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #808 on: June 13, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
 hi ynot14 i do not wont ta start a race thing but it runs a bit deeper than that i too have a good friend that lives in hands worth we go back a long way and yes hes black and hes got two lads  one in the r.a.f one in the r.n and he got stick in the 50s when he come to the uk but he said its down to the parents to show them the way and his words he say that most do not have a family mom and dad the only family they have is a gang   WE ALL NEED TO HAVE FAMILY ROY
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #809 on: June 13, 2009, 11:32:29 AM »
Getting back to the subject of this thread, here is a photo of a pub that is still open I believe (a rarity). The Yardley Arms, I used this pub occasionally in the 70's. I have to admit I wasn't too keen on it. I much preferred The Meadway around the corner.

I believe they have changed the name to the Millhouse Inn. Why is that was there a mill in the locality at sometime? I know it was built in 1840 when the area was pretty sparsely populated for farm workers because there was no other pub for miles.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ynot14

« Reply #810 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
Phil,
The Yardley you have shown looks very similar to The Kings Arms in Luxulyam, Cornwall where I lived for 14 years..and yes I do mean in the pub whenever possible, so it seems to be a general pub design from that era.

I have noticed when you look at old pub histories from the 1800's it always gives the name of the firm that built it.

sheldonboy

« Reply #811 on: June 13, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »
Phil
Yes mate The Yardley Arms did have it's name changed to The Millhouse. I understand it has also changed back to The Yardley Arms. Nice picture by the way. Yes it is still open.
The Yardley Arms is one of two pubs I was thrown out of for being under age. I was Head Barman of The Chestnut Tree then and 22yrs of age. The other was a hotel in Newquay Cornwall on my 24th Birthday.

ynot14

« Reply #812 on: June 13, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
sheldonboy,
Please tell which Newquay pub it was you were thrown out off?

sheldonboy

« Reply #813 on: June 13, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »
tramp old boy

Just to get on your nerves, on your very concise list of defunct drinking establishments did we get The Red Cow Bristol Street
                                           The Nottingham Arms   Bristol Street
                                           The Bowling Green Holloway Head

Just thought I'd ask   SB

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy