Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 932231 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #847 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:46 PM »
Bernie

So it was a quiet night at the Speedwell when you visited?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #848 on: June 18, 2009, 04:09:26 AM »
Berniew
Good game, glad you wern't plaing darts though.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

sheldonboy

« Reply #849 on: June 21, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »
Does anyone recognise this sorry place.  SB  (my god iv'e managed to get a picture posted)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #850 on: June 21, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
SB

Its what left of the Royal George on the corner of Park St & Digbeth.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #851 on: June 21, 2009, 07:38:49 PM »
Yes mate and what a sorry state, there are still people living above I believe.  SB

That picture was taken yesterday.

ynot14

« Reply #852 on: June 21, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
Is that all that's left of my ex-girlfriends late sisters place?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #853 on: June 21, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »
SB

I don't know for sure but is it flats above the pub? It looks a bit big for living accomodation only.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #854 on: June 21, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »
Ynot and Phil
Yes that's all that is left of The Royal George I am afraid. In fact I think I saw a To-Let sign, but if so it must I think be for a short let, I am pretty sure these buildings may be for demolition as part of the East side regeneration as it progresses down that way. There is a major amount of work to be done around that area in the next few years.   SB

ynot14

« Reply #855 on: June 21, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
Sheldonboy,
How many more regeneration schemes can Brum take? We saw so much in the late 1950s and early 1960s as they finished off the old bombsites and filled it with concrete blocks they called buildings.

I came up to Brum in 2005 for my eldest boys wedding and it knocked me sick when I stepped out of New Street to have a look...What will I see in a fortnights time when I chance a look out of New Street this time? I may just go and have a pint over I don't know yet and if so where will I remember? :-\

sheldonboy

« Reply #856 on: June 21, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »
Ynot,
You aint seen nothing yet, one of the next major jobbies to be regenerated is New Street Station itself. Mind you N/S Station is an absolute tip. It a filthy mess.
I don't know how long you are staying in Brum but my local in town at the moment is The Windsor, in Cannon Street, good beer and excellent food. SB

ynot14

« Reply #857 on: June 21, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
sheldonboy,
I know the Windsor, does it still have the back door onto Needless Alley? I called in there about 5 years ago and it looked good then and served a decent pint..so much so I missed about four trains to Walsall to have some more.

Looking at my train times I may not be able to manage it this time though as I get them discounted through Trainline and £50 return well I couldn't do it cheaper by car and since I lost my lower right leg the train is more comfortable and booze is not restricted.

I have been thinking about doing a trip in the near future to just go around the old haunts maybe look at the places I lived, schools I went to and that should take a day so the other six days should just about cover the pubs and clubs. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy