Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928664 times)

nathan

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
Bril
Found a superb book in a local charity shop. Memories of Birmingham by Alton Douglas published by the Birmingham Post and Mail 1986.

Not bad for a quid. ;D
Jacqueline and bril47
What a coincidence, I have just got two books by Alton Douglas,Birmingham shops,and Birmingham at work,from the library.Great minds think alike O0
nathan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »
Nathan,

Next time you go to the library as for a copy of Time Please (A look back at Birmingham Pubs) by Andrew Maxam. There are over 300 pub photo's in it. By the time I heard about it, I had 90% of them. Its a good book.

I think you'll find that Alton Douglas has done 8-10 on Birmingham, and thats not counting the ones about the surrounding area's.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »
Phil, was it you who posted a load of pictures of old pubs on the B'Ham History forum? (I know some people had different names there).
I saved some of them pictures (of pubs I had visited in my misspent youth  ;D and was upset when I couldn't find them in my Photobucket recently)  :-\
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
mazbeth,

Just tell me what photo's you want and I will see if I can help.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »
sorry, it may have been someone else...

give me some time and let me remember the pubs I went into...
er...yes, it was quite a few :-[
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

nathan

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »
Phil
I will do that,
My other interest is canals,of which I have cycled most them in midlands(on the towpath) and there is plenty of history there along with pubs.
nathan

mazbeth

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2008, 09:58:13 PM »
I found a picture of one that I used to go into in '76/'77 to meet a crowd.

Duke of York - Hockley- sadly closed now, by the looks of that. There used to be discos upstairs sometimes.

dawny

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »
Hello Everyone i am new to this site, talking of old pubs i used to live in great brook street nechells and there was a pub on the corner and of never heard anyone mention it or ever seen a picture of it,n it was called the army and navy?? does anyone remember it??

Dawny

mazbeth

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2008, 11:51:02 PM »
Hi Dawny
I used to go in some pubs in Nechells, but can't remember that one...

Phil might know..

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
Hello Dawny welcome to the site,

The Army & Navy, its one I have heard mentioned, but I don't think I have a photo. Give me a couple of days to see what I can come up with. In the meantime settle in and enjoy the site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
Dawny

These are the best I can come up with at the moment, one is from the book by Elizabeth Frostick & Lucy Harland,  People History & Change in Birminghams Heartlands and is a snap of part of Great Brook St. Where the other is from I don't remember, but its a snap of The Birmingham Co-op Fire Brigade taken in 1941 their depot was in Great Brook St. If you look to the far right of the photo you will see part of a public house, that is the Army & Navy. Sorry the photo's are poor quality.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy