Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928694 times)

countrylad

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2299 on: August 31, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »
countrylad you should start a new thread. Something like (vehicles of the past) showing them on our streets. O0
townie, that's a really good point. I had considered it. But being fairly fresh on the forum I thought it may have gone before, and there is so much information on the forum its hard to identify what is what. I will follow up. Thank you

Scipio

« Reply #2300 on: August 31, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »

Scipio sorry for taking so long. I am 99.9 % sure it was called The Wagon & Horses 14 Edgbaston Street closed 1944.

What about The Sydenham Hotel I think it disappeared to become a car park for employees of S&U as the Bull Ring Was getting revamped  . Somebody mentioned this name to me
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #2301 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:04 AM »
Scipio. I know of the Sydenham Hotel that was in Small Heath, but not the Bull Ring but I will have a look around as I've been wrong many times.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2302 on: September 01, 2017, 11:35:39 AM »
Scipio

A listing for Edgbaston Street from the 1962 Edition of Kelly of Kelly's Trade Directory.

EDGBASTON STREET (5),
21 Spiceal street to 1 Pershore street. MAP G 5.
NORTH SIDE.
here is Pershore st
SOUTH SIDE.
43 Sydenham Hotel
44 Tay J. H. "butcher
48 Oscott Paper Converters Ltd
49 Phillips J. C. & Co. newsagts
49 & 50 Taylor H. B. & Co. Ltd. who. newsagts
51/S3 S. & U. Stores Ltd. departmental store
51/53 Sartorial Shops Ltd.men's outfitters
... here is Gloucester st ...
59, 63 to 71 Pryke R. Ltd. produce mers
60 Fatstock Marketing Corporation Ltd. (poultry dept)
62 Hollings Caf6 Ltd. dining rms
63 Pryke R. Ltd. produce mers
here is St. Martin's Market
65/71 Pryke R. Ltd. produce mers

I'm also posting an earlier photo of the Sydenham Hotel on the corner of Pershore Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2303 on: September 01, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »
Well there you go again Sicpio, wrong again. I am so glad you replied otherwise we would never have known. I have a feeling that someone knew what that pub was all along but because of maybe personal reasons wouldn't devolve, (sad ant it, wonder why their on a forum at times)   

Scipio

« Reply #2304 on: September 01, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »

Well there you go again Sicpio, wrong again. I am so glad you replied otherwise we would never have known. I have a feeling that someone knew what that pub was all along but because of maybe personal reasons wouldn't devolve, (sad ant it, wonder why their on a forum at times)   

It was no-one on here that dropped it out Townie, another old codger I chew the fat with up the road told me , after I'd shown him your pic
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #2305 on: September 01, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »
Scipio. There is no way that accusations if accusations is the right word are pointed in your directions   O0 Perhaps this poster who has confirmed that the photo is of another pub can verify where the Wagon and horses was? No, forget that ill find it myself.

townie

« Reply #2306 on: September 02, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
What this thread needs is a real true brummie who can remember these old pubs. I know these people are far and scares but there might be someone out there. Its no good relying on Charlie Chan ive asked him 3 question and he could not answer one. Cant rely on kellys either  because that don't always give you the answers.   

Scipio

« Reply #2307 on: September 02, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »

What this thread needs is a real true brummie who can remember these old pubs. I know these people are far and scares but there might be someone out there. Its no good relying on Charlie Chan ive asked him 3 question and he could not answer one. Cant rely on kellys either  because that don't always give you the answers.

Townie I'd like to think that I'm a true blooded brummie , but some of the pubs I've never visited or seen before . I am sure though there
must be enough brains/intelligence on here to name a vast amount of them. Are you struggling with another one now ?
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #2308 on: September 02, 2017, 10:10:14 PM »

Scipio. You are a breath of fresh air, i have lots of photos of pubs with no names, if you and your mate can help that would be great. Why not ask your mate to join the forum?
Here's one for you to start I think its Icknield Port Road at the corner with Dudley Road,

Scipio

« Reply #2309 on: September 02, 2017, 10:25:35 PM »

Scipio. You are a breath of fresh air, i have lots of photos of pubs with no names, if you and your mate can help that would be great. Why not ask your mate to join the forum?
Here's one for you to start I think its Icknield Port Road at the corner with Dudley Road,

I used to fancy a girl down Icknield Port Rd when I was at school . While running errands for the neighbours I used to go past that pub
every fortnight on the No 19 going back home . Townie I think it was called The Wheatsheaf good luck
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy