Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928840 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2321 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
Scipio

The pub in the distance is the St Martins Hotel on the corner of Jamaica Row & St Martins Lane. The photo was taken in 1963 standing outside the Sydenham Hotel on Edgbaston Street. I'm attaching three photos, the first one shows the St Martins as seen from Edgbaston Street.  The second shows the St Martins looking down Spiceal from outside Woolworths in the Bull Ring and the last photo is of an OS map showing the location of the St Martins & the Sydenham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2322 on: September 05, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
Scipio I thought that the hotel in the distance was St Martins as that makes sense. I found a site once where there was about 4 or 5 pubs on Edgbaston street but its disappeared or I'm not looking in the right place.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #2323 on: September 06, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »
Scipio. Do you remember any pubs in Bull Street?

townie

« Reply #2324 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:21 PM »
Does anyone on here collect photos of old pubs of Birmingham? I have lots of names of pubs to put forward if anyone can help? I have a quite a few at the moment but would like to add more Thank You  O0

jamesm

« Reply #2325 on: September 10, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
Looking at Phil's pictures of the St. Martins Hotel, I recall getting a great cheese and onion sandwich from the most lunchtimes when I worked in the Bull Ring. Also on days off used to have breakfast at the Black Swan which I think was on Pershore St. (Can't be certain). The full Monty with as much tea and toast as you wanted for just 10 bob. Always used to be full of workers from the Wholesale market and there was a Mynah bird in the dining room who they taught to swear like a trooper!

townie

« Reply #2326 on: September 10, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
jamesm There was a Black Swan on Bromsgrove Street it might be that one.

jamesm

« Reply #2327 on: September 10, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
jamesm There was a Black Swan on Bromsgrove Street it might be that one.
It must have been as it's the only Black Swan I know of in the town. The memory plays tricks as you get older ;D

townie

« Reply #2328 on: September 10, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

This is the only photo I have sorry not a very good view of it. This is a photo from the mikejee collection.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2329 on: September 10, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
Jamesm

I remember The Black Swan from the early 60's, I don't think I ever used it. Though I have to state it wasn't for the reason of it being known as a Gay crowd haunt along with the Australian Bar further up the road as I had friends among them and often drank with them on other pubs. I see the Silver Blades Rink a little further up the road on Mikejees photo, that was a place I did use, the rink, the bowling alley and the Heartbeat Club. In fact I think I spent the opening night in the bar of the bowling alley trying to drink everything on the price list, it wasn't a very big list back then and I managed to get from top to bottom and walk out as sober as a judge.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2330 on: September 10, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
You will have to tell me next time I post a photo who the owner is. As the photo has been posted on the forum before I didn't see a problem in not naming the photographer. 

mikejee

« Reply #2331 on: September 10, 2017, 05:49:11 PM »
When I have posted photos of mine, I always state that they are mine. I have no objection to anyone using my photos, but would appreciate an attribution when they do

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy