Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928802 times)

townie

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2343 on: October 16, 2017, 09:04:47 PM »
Scipio Your answer might lie with the raving lunatics on thread doom doom its coming  ;D
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #2344 on: October 17, 2017, 01:42:18 PM »

I can accept these two , but who is Sara Moon ?

To he honest, I don't know.  I only ever really knew the pub as that (until it recently changed it's name to Peaky Blinder), never really thought about why it was called that  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2345 on: October 17, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
To he honest, I don't know.  I only ever really knew the pub as that (until it recently changed it's name to Peaky Blinder), never really thought about why it was called that  ;D

Judith

Not a pub I ever used, but the pub had three previous names before it's present one, or so I read. The Hole in the Wall, The Confession Box, The Sara Moon, and now The Peaky Blinder. As far as I know Sara Moon was at first a French model who has now turned to fashion photography and films. As the name is not a common one I assume the pub was called after her.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2346 on: October 17, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »
I've never heard that name before but you must be right. (The Confession Box)
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Scipio

« Reply #2347 on: October 17, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »

Judith

Not a pub I ever used, but the pub had three previous names before it's present one, or so I read. The Hole in the Wall, The Confession Box, The Sara Moon, and now The Peaky Blinder. As far as I know Sara Moon was at first a French model who has now turned to fashion photography and films. As the name is not a common one I assume the pub was called after her.

Phil I remember going in there in the late 60's with a mate , got to chat to a couple of gals. Worst days work ever . Could'nt get rid, came up to where I lived two weeks on the trot . Luckily they never gained entry the second time , so end of relationship
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2348 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »

Phil I remember going in there in the late 60's with a mate , got to chat to a couple of gals. Worst days work ever . Could'nt get rid, came up to where I lived two weeks on the trot . Luckily they never gained entry the second time , so end of relationship

Scipio

I have to be honest, I never used most of the pubs and clubs that opened in the City in the 70's, none of them were my sort of place. I tended to like old fashioned spit and sawdust sort of places. Was the hole in the wall open in the 60's? If it was then it must have been toward the end of 69. As the first time I was even aware of it was around the end of 1970.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #2349 on: October 17, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »

Scipio

I have to be honest, I never used most of the pubs and clubs that opened in the City in the 70's, none of them were my sort of place. I tended to like old fashioned spit and sawdust sort of places. Was the hole in the wall open in the 60's? If it was then it must have been toward the end of 69. As the first time I was even aware of it was around the end of 1970.

Phil  my mate got married in August 1970 , whereas I go hitched in November the same year. You are right though it was in 69 when we visited there, after which we went our separate ways after a couple of months . Like you though Phil , I preferred the spit and sawdust pubs
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2350 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:18 PM »

Phil  my mate got married in August 1970 , whereas I go hitched in November the same year. You are right though it was in 69 when we visited there, after which we went our separate ways after a couple of months . Like you though Phil , I preferred the spit and sawdust pubs

I'm afraid they were too plastic for my taste with their formica topped tables and modern light and airy décor and central bars. I liked the old pubs with their coal fires and flux curry house wallpaper and wood and glass & panels with several little rooms. I see they are making a comeback now. In my mind they should never have gone away.

I remember my brother in law and I used to use The [censored] in Jiggins Lane when it was still a little country type pub just after he married my sister. He doesn't live in this country anymore so when over here for a visit a few years back when he asked where we should meet up for a drink I suggested the [censored]. The worst suggestion I ever made in my life, they had ripped the whole inside of the pub out and it was all one room. It was full of young kids (most of them under age) fighting, dealing and whatever. While we were in there two youngsters had a fight and were rolling around the floor while two bouncers just stood and watched them. If that's progress and what they want in pubs today then I'll stick to the old pubs.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #2351 on: October 17, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »

I'm afraid they were too plastic for my taste with their formica topped tables and modern light and airy décor and central bars. I liked the old pubs with their coal fires and flux curry house wallpaper and wood and glass & panels woth sdeverral little rooms. I see they are making a comeback now. In my mind they should never have gone away.

I remember my brother in law and I used to use The [censored] in Jiggins Lane when it was still a little country type pub just after he married my sister. He doesn't love in this country anymore so when over here for a visit a few years back when he asked where we should meet up for a drink I suggested the [censored]. The worst suggestion I ever made in my life, they had ripped the whole inside of the pub out and it was all one room. It was full of young kids (most of them under age) fighting, dealing and whatever. While we were in there two youngsters had a fight and were rolling around the floor while two bouncers just stood and watched them. If that's progress and what they want in pubs today then I'll stick to the old pubs.

Hear hear Phil , I used to like The Shakespeare on Summer Row , Duke of Cambridge  in Cambridge St . That was many years ago and just two of the old time pubs I used to frequent Phil, when the only food that was sold was perhaps a cheese or a ham cob and a possible pork pie . Those were in the days before modern day battery feeding started in pubs , where as long as the restaurant is full
stuff the bar
Mark Twain

thewaywewere

« Reply #2352 on: January 06, 2018, 09:34:38 PM »
The Coach smith Arms was called cranky franks  :)

Boz

« Reply #2353 on: January 08, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
An old style pub in the city centre my mate and I used early on Saturday nights in the early sixties was the Old Contemptibles on Constitution Hill. All small rooms then, but I imagine is more up to date now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy